The results of buying sexed silkies from my pet chicken...

SilkieSanctuary

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2016
There is a lot of controversy about where or not you can sex silkies. Some people believe that buying sexed silkies from mypetchicken.com is a scam and a waste of money. In September I decided to take a gamble and purchase 5 female silkie chicks, and 2 female rhode island red chicks. They were hatched on September 7th, and I got seven happy, healthy chicks on September 8. Six months later they all made it and I am happy I ordered them. I will say that my order was not cheap at all, and I will not always get my silkies from there because of the lack of availability and the price ($13.17 per female chick!!!), but I love my girls!

THE RESULTS!!!

Silkies: 4 out of 5 were hens!

Call it good luck if you want, but I don't think it's a scam. I have never got a batch of silkies with this good of odds.

Rhode Island Reds: both of them are hens and are laying eggs!

I did expect them to be hens because they are standards.

**If you have ever ordered sexed bantams from my pet chicken I would love to hear the results.**

Last edited:
I have ordered multiple batches of sexed bantams from My Pet Chicken. The silkies were all correctly sexed. Last year's frizzled cochins were all hens as they were supposed to be.

I have another batch of cochins coming this spring. 2 years ago I ordered straight run bantam mottled cochins and got 3 roosters and a single hen, not what I wanted but I though I would save money and order straight run.

To me it's definitely worth the money to have them sexed. I only order from My Pet Chicken, and every bird has been correctly sexed, not even one was wrong. I probably just jinxed myself now.
1f600.png

I did have one mistake made by them. I received a blue copper Maran instead of a blue Cochin hen, which ended up being a good mistake.

To me in the scheme of life and where else my money ends up going, a few extra bucks to get my bantam chicks sexed so I don't have to have my husband strangle and eat all the adorable roosters is worth it. Actually I end up keeping most of the roosters and I'm running out of room for them, so I pay a bit extra to get what I want.

To me in the scheme of life and where else my money ends up going, a few extra bucks to get my bantam chicks sexed so I don't have to have my husband strangle and eat all the adorable roosters is worth it. Actually I end up keeping most of the roosters and I'm running out of room for them, so I pay a bit extra to get what I want.
Yes that is what I thought them I got them. I wonder if the price eventually evens out because you don't have to feed roosters just to get rid of them. How is silkie meat btw? I have not tried silkie meat yet, does it taste like normal chicken meat? It would be kinda weird eating blue chicken.
wink.png

Yes that is what I thought them I got them. I wonder if the price eventually evens out because you don't have to feed roosters just to get rid of them. How is silkie meat btw? I have not tried silkie meat yet, does it taste like normal chicken meat? It would be kinda weird eating blue chicken.
wink.png
I understand its a prized delicacy in some countries in SE Asia (and maybe China, can't remember).

Yes that is what I thought them I got them. I wonder if the price eventually evens out because you don't have to feed roosters just to get rid of them. How is silkie meat btw? I have not tried silkie meat yet, does it taste like normal chicken meat? It would be kinda weird eating blue chicken. ;)
We have never actually butchered a silkie, and I don't eat meat, but I assume it would be creepy.

I have ordered 3 Silkies from them, 2 D’Uccles and 5 different Cochins. So far, All of them have turned out to be hens, too. I find the extra cost worth the hassle of what do I do with this rooster? I have had so far 3 mistakes, the Easter Eggers and the Sultan all turned up roosters. Still, the money back guarantee or replacement is much appreciated! I’ll continue ordering from them.

Back
Top Bottom