the Roost

they will figure it out... ours slept on the floor alot too .. now they all use the roosts or the roof of the nesting boxes .. but when I check on them in the evening some want to roost on me
lau.gif

welcome-byc.gif
this is the best site on the net

I put tiny roosts in box when mine arrived, on day 1. They were using it immediately. 25 fuzz balls on a stick! Soon I added an 8" tall roost, and they all tried to fit on it whenever possible. I never needed a walkboard as a result of that. I did put two in my coop, but they ignore it, jumping up and down . I have one at 24" ht that none use except as step to get to the one at 48" ht.

My guess is a broader perch and just keep putting them up there. Ideally walkboards should be 3:1 slope or even 4:1 if possible. I use a 2x2 roost, but am in Tennessee, so extreme cold not an issue here usually. I may yet change to 2x4's tho.

They will always try to roost on the highest place once they start to roost for you, so put roosts higher than top of nest area to eliminate poop over there. Works for me.

I started my chicks off, with a roost, about 4" off the ground. Basically, they had to climb over it, to manuver around the cage. Within a couple of weeks, they were getting on it, 1' off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom