~*~The RP Restoration/Revival/Restart/ Advice/Advertisement/Chat Thread~*~

I'm here because….

• I have a dying RP. (Or two. Or a billion...)

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • My new RP isn't successful.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • I need some advice.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I just wanna talk RPs!

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor baryonyx. Deinosuchus, kentrosaurus, sinornthomimus, all are awesome! But if I had to pick, I'd go with Deinosuchus!
So deinosuchus is definitely a keeper, I wanted to add sinorno for the forest aerial predator, and kentro just to add another herbivore. And troodon solo nightstalker, or packhunting nightstalker?

So deinosuchus is definitely a keeper, I wanted to add sinorno for the forest aerial predator, and kentro just to add another herbivore. And troodon solo nightstalker, or packhunting nightstalker?

Deinosuchus is the best, and kentro and sinorno sound good!
I think troodon are too small to be that terrifying if not in a pack, and it would make them even scarer if they were nightstalkers as well. But maybe there could a nightstalker that is much larger than a human, that hunts in pairs with its mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThatChick

Deinonychus played Velociraptor in the first Jurassic Park movie, and is the more influential raptor among paleontologists. Not saying little Veloci isn't cool, I grew up loving it, but once I found out about his larger cousins, Dromaeosaurus, Deinonychus, and Utahraptor, I found new loves! (Utahraptor is, by far, my favorite out of the raptor family.)

Oh, and they have feathers!!!

Very cool!

Feathers? That all depends on who you ask.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThatChick

Evidence of wing feathers on velociraptor.
wink.png

But yes, what some believe is true has outweighed facts many a time.
lol.png

((Fossils can't lie! I have a collection of them, including a megalodon tooth.))

I'm truly not trying to start an argument on a touchy subject, but if dinosaurs had feathers, why do no reptiles today have feathers? Also, if Velociraptor did have feathers, I would expect to see distinct feather imprints, like these (see below), not just "evidence" of it.

I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way, and you may be correct about dinosaurs having feathers. This is just my opinion.

I'm truly not trying to start an argument on a touchy subject, but if dinosaurs had feathers, why do no reptiles today have feathers? Also, if Velociraptor did have feathers, I would expect to see distinct feather imprints, like these (see below), not just "evidence" of it. I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way, and you may be correct about dinosaurs having feathers. This is just my opinion.
No no, you're not offending me in any way, and we're just discussing this, not arguing, it's not a touchy subject for me at all. The reason no reptiles today have feathers, is that dinosaurs are not the ancestors of modern reptiles. "Although the word dinosaur means "terrible lizard", the name is somewhat misleading, as dinosaurs are not lizards. Instead, they represent a separate group of reptiles that, like many extinct forms, did not exhibit characteristics traditionally seen as reptilian, such as a sprawling limb posture or ectothermy.–" And, if fact, your chickens are living dinosaurs! "Through the first half of the 20th century, before birds were recognized to be dinosaurs, most of the scientific community believed dinosaurs to have been sluggish and cold-blooded. Most research conducted since the 1970s, however, has indicated that all dinosaurs were active animals with elevated metabolisms and numerous adaptations for social interaction."

I think troodon are too small to be that terrifying if not in a pack, and it would make them even scarer if they were nightstalkers as well. But maybe there could a nightstalker that is much larger than a human, that hunts in pairs with its mate?
I thibmnk I'll do the troodon nightstalker packs, and the t rex will be diurnal and nocturnal.

No no, you're not offending me in any way, and we're just discussing this, not arguing, it's not a touchy subject for me at all.

The reason no reptiles today have feathers, is that dinosaurs are not the ancestors of modern reptiles.

"Although the word dinosaur means "terrible lizard", the name is somewhat misleading, as dinosaurs are not lizards. Instead, they represent a separate group of reptiles that, like many extinct forms, did not exhibit characteristics traditionally seen as reptilian, such as a sprawling limb posture or ectothermy.–"

And, if fact, your chickens are living dinosaurs!

"Through the first half of the 20th century, before birds were recognized to be dinosaurs, most of the scientific community believed dinosaurs to have been sluggish and cold-blooded. Most research conducted since the 1970s, however, has indicated that all dinosaurs were active animals with elevated metabolisms and numerous adaptations for social interaction."

You are correct to say that dinosaurs are not the ancestors of modern lizards. They were a distinct "kind" of reptile.

However, in all modern genetic examples, an organism is not able to add genetic information, only lose it. For example, all breeds of dogs quite probably came from only two individual dogs. As the dog's had pups, and their pups in turn had pups, they began to genetically vary from each other, creating different "breeds" of dog. When you see different breed characteristics, such as the Mexican Hairless Dog having hardly any fur, that is a loss of information, not a gain. The only way to get the fur trait back is to breed the Hairless Dog with a breed that does have fur, but you are still losing information. The dog has then lost it's "furless" trait.

Now ask yourself, are feathers a loss of information, or a gain? They are quite obviously a gain. If you look at a feather (which I am certain you have!), you can see how perfectly designed it is for flight. The shaft is strong yet lightweight, the individual barbs are perfectly interlocking, and the vane is ideally shaped for flight. Modern scientists cannot even hope to design something so well-suited for flight.

The next question is why? Why would a reptile suddenly "decide" to grow feathers? Did it plan ahead, thinking, "I'm going to start growing feathers, and someday, I will fly!"? This situation sounds like a horse wanting to be a unicorn, and deciding to grow a horn. The genetic capability just isn't there.

To me, dinosaurs growing feathers sounds highly, highly unlikely.

Last edited:
You are correct to say that dinosaurs are not the ancestors of modern lizards. They were a distinct "kind" of reptile.

However, in all modern genetic examples, an organism is not able to add genetic information, only lose it. For example, all breeds of dogs quite probably came from only two individual dogs. As the dog's had pups, and their pups in turn had pups, they began to genetically vary from each other, creating different "breeds" of dog. When you see different breed characteristics, such as the Mexican Hairless Dog having hardly any fur, that is a loss of information, not a gain. The only way to get the fur trait back is to breed the Hairless Dog with a breed that does have fur, but you are still losing information. The dog has then lost it's "furless" trait.

Now ask yourself, are feathers a loss of information, or a gain? They are quite obviously a gain. If you look at a feather (which I am certain you have!), you can see how perfectly designed it is for flight. The shaft is strong yet lightweight, the individual barbs are perfectly interlocking, and the vane is ideally shaped for flight. Modern scientists cannot even hope to design something so well-suited for flight.

The next question is why? Why would a reptile suddenly "decide" to grow feathers? Did it plan ahead, thinking, "I'm going to start growing feathers, and someday, I will fly!"? This situation sounds like a horse wanting to be a unicorn, and deciding to grow a horn. The genetic capability just isn't there.

To me, dinosaurs growing feathers sounds highly, highly unlikely.

Please tell me if I'm wrong in this, but I'm assuming that you do not believe in evaluation, or any form of it. I don't mean any offense to you by that. Because if genetic information can only be lost, then how do you explain birds developing feathers in the first place? With evolution. Just how pre-modern Homo erectus changed when they migrated from Africa, conditions were different, and they adapted to their environment. You can't say that blue eyes came from the loss of brown, no, they were a genetic mutation, which is what evolution is.

And you ask why reptile grow feathers? Because that's not what I was saying they did, I said that they had feathers, not that they wanted then so they grew them. They developed feathers, and when the majority of life became extinct on earth, leaving the smallest, which included mammals, very small dinosaurs, reptiles and birds, that then evolved in the absence of large dinosaurs, that for many species, were their predators.

Oh, and I forgot to answer what you said about raptors. All fossils are different, and where they are geographic plays a large factor, because depending of climate, soil, etc., they will be preserved in varying levels of decomposition. Have you ever seen a decaying carcass? Or many, in my case, and some, especially the small, get covered very quickly by sentiment, plant matter, etc. Others, mostly the large ones, hang out for a long time, and by the time they are starting to be covered, only bones are left. Their are many factors.

Last edited:

Aw yeah.

So, since austroraptor takes over fish eating dino, baryonyx is out. So what are your thoughts on Deinosuchus, kentrosaurus, and sinorthomimus?
Poor baryonyx. Deinosuchus, kentrosaurus, sinornthomimus, all are awesome! But if I had to pick, I'd go with Deinosuchus!

I just want dinosaurs…pretty simple here, folks!

Deinonychus played Velociraptor in the first Jurassic Park movie, and is the more influential raptor among paleontologists. Not saying little Veloci isn't cool, I grew up loving it, but once I found out about his larger cousins, Dromaeosaurus, Deinonychus, and Utahraptor, I found new loves! (Utahraptor is, by far, my favorite out of the raptor family.)

Oh, and they have feathers!!!

We must agree to disagree. Velociraptors!

Oh! What about oviraptor? People could take their eggs.

And here are a few ideas for easier game: archaeopteryx (like a quail, yum.), beipiaosaurus (looks meaty!), microraptor (Rat raptor! As I like to call them...), caudipteryx (chicken-ish!).

Oh yeah! (I watched a lot of dinosaur things, but I really don't know much about them. Though I love velociraptors and microraptors!)

Packs of nightstalkers!

Very cool!

Feathers? That all depends on who you ask.
big_smile.png

Evidence of wing feathers on velociraptor.
wink.png

But yes, what some believe is true has outweighed facts many a time.
lol.png

((Fossils can't lie! I have a collection of them, including a megalodon tooth.))
I'm truly not trying to start an argument on a touchy subject, but if dinosaurs had feathers, why do no reptiles today have feathers? Also, if Velociraptor did have feathers, I would expect to see distinct feather imprints, like these (see below), not just "evidence" of it.

I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way, and you may be correct about dinosaurs having feathers. This is just my opinion.
No no, you're not offending me in any way, and we're just discussing this, not arguing, it's not a touchy subject for me at all.

The reason no reptiles today have feathers, is that dinosaurs are not the ancestors of modern reptiles.

"Although the word dinosaur means "terrible lizard", the name is somewhat misleading, as dinosaurs are not lizards. Instead, they represent a separate group of reptiles that, like many extinct forms, did not exhibit characteristics traditionally seen as reptilian, such as a sprawling limb posture or ectothermy.–"

And, if fact, your chickens are living dinosaurs!

"Through the first half of the 20th century, before birds were recognized to be dinosaurs, most of the scientific community believed dinosaurs to have been sluggish and cold-blooded. Most research conducted since the 1970s, however, has indicated that all dinosaurs were active animals with elevated metabolisms and numerous adaptations for social interaction."

I thibmnk I'll do the troodon nightstalker packs, and the t rex will be diurnal and nocturnal.

Do what you like! I just say the more the merrier!

However, in all modern genetic examples, an organism is not able to add genetic information, only lose it. For example, all breeds of dogs quite probably came from only two individual dogs. As the dog's had pups, and their pups in turn had pups, they began to genetically vary from each other, creating different "breeds" of dog. When you see different breed characteristics, such as the Mexican Hairless Dog having hardly any fur, that is a loss of information, not a gain. The only way to get the fur trait back is to breed the Hairless Dog with a breed that does have fur, but you are still losing information. The dog has then lost it's "furless" trait.

The next question is why? Why would a reptile suddenly "decide" to grow feathers? Did it plan ahead, thinking, "I'm going to start growing feathers, and someday, I will fly!"? This situation sounds like a horse wanting to be a unicorn, and deciding to grow a horn. The genetic capability just isn't there.

To me, dinosaurs growing feathers sounds highly, highly unlikely.
Please tell me if I'm wrong in this, but I'm assuming that you do not believe in evaluation, or any form of it. I don't mean any offense to you by that. Because if genetic information can only be lost, then how do you explain birds developing feathers in the first place? With evolution. Just how pre-modern Homo erectus changed when they migrated from Africa, conditions were different, and they adapted to their environment. You can't say that blue eyes came from the loss of brown, no, they were a genetic mutation, which is what evolution is.

And you ask why reptile grow feathers? Because that's not what I was saying they did, I said that they had feathers, not that they wanted then so they grew them. They developed feathers, and when the majority of life became extinct on earth, leaving the smallest, which included mammals, very small dinosaurs, reptiles and birds, that then evolved in the absence of large dinosaurs, that for many species, were their predators.

Oh, and I forgot to answer what you said about raptors. All fossils are different, and where they are geographic plays a large factor, because depending of climate, soil, etc., they will be preserved in varying levels of decomposition. Have you ever seen a decaying carcass? Or many, in my case, and some, especially the small, get covered very quickly by sentiment, plant matter, etc. Others, mostly the large ones, hang out for a long time, and by the time they are starting to be covered, only bones are left. Their are many factors.

Can I silence this debate with the microraptor?

Feathers! Super-duper glidey dinos! See?

Everybody happy now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom