The saddest and most moving story I've ever read about a chicken

I thought, when I began translating the text, that I would make it to the end without crying. Surely I wouldn't get emotional from reading it in the slow and chopped-up way you do when you translate? I mean, you'll lose all the flow. And sure enough, I kept translating, and I was fine. No lump in the throat whatsoever... For about two thirds of the text. Then came the part about Lovis crying, and lo, what started creeping up at the back of my throat, if not that familiar old cramping feeling...

It says on the writer's profile that she writes for a living. It makes me curious as to her other works. I mean, if she can turn me into a whimpering heap with a blog post, imagine what she can do with a novel...

Glad you liked it too!

Wow what a lovely story. What breed is Sjuse (sorry if I missed it)? He's gorgeous.

It doesn't say. I have to guess he's a mix. But he surely is one fine specimen. He's my favorite color (crele, or very similar at least), has my favorite comb type (tiny and flat) and my favorite chicken personality (tame as a dog). Would surely have loved to have a younger version of him in my flock.

Bonus post: Translation of an earlier post about Sjuse, from the same blog: http://engulapelsin.blogspot.se/2012/05/sjuses-utflykt.html

Sjuse's Excursion

It rained yesterday. Rained and rained. Our old rooster followed a long buried impulse and... Escaped. Disappeared. Didn't return come nightfall, even though he should. Our chickens usually always come home for the night (in the summertime they always roam free, and they generally never even go out on the road).

Sjuse is blind in one eye and between five and ten years old. In his former flock he was a bit of an outcast, even here in the beginning, he'd lived as a punching bag his whole life. When he came to us he mostly just stood and stared in a corner. He was depressed. And who wouldn't be, if you never got to play.

He has recovered. We don't have so many hens that he suffers mentally from his low status. Slowly we've seen him turn out towards the world and even though he still keeps to himself, he's not lowest in rank anymore.

But yesterday he disappeared. We looked. And I was so sad, because Lovis, Idun and the neighboring children had taken Sjuse on, tended to him and built a hotel for him and everything.

But today there was a knock on the door. Our neighbors had happened to see him during the morning walk, Sjuse strutting around by the car painting workshop some distance away. I'm so happy and grateful for them picking him up and carrying him home. Occasionally, you need to do that with old men astray.

Today he's been standing on one leg in the hen house sleeping all day.

DSC_8884.jpg

Back
Top Bottom