the sultan thread

Pics

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Let's talk about our beauties here, post photos and anecdotes!

I just got my girl yesterday and am sooo excited, really want to know more about the breed.

So far my Miss Coco Chanel is as sweet as coconut fluff!

DSC_0010-4.jpg

My Sultan chicks from Ideal just arrived. I've been anxious to get them to the point I slept lightly all night in hopes of a early morning phone call from the post office.

I ordered 12 Sultan straight run and 8 pullets of other breeds. The chicks look pretty good. Ideal did delay my order a few days due to not having enough hatch out of something or other (I suspect sultans).
One sultan chick is worrying me. It's very, very tiny compared to the others and I suspect it's a bantam they tossed in to make 12. But it's been injured in shipping. Looks like a slipped hip. I really, really do not want to cull a sultan!!

The sultan chicks all have 5 toes on each foot. some of them look sort of fused, but I wanted to get them in the brooder quickly so did not double check if they were or not. The head bumps are not quite as big as sultan chicks I hatched from eggs but it could be my faulty memory. One chick for sure is missing a toenail, but there may be more than one since it was just a quick health check.

I know they are hatchery chicks and not show quality, so my expectations are sort of low but I am surprised by them all having 5 toes on each foot. I'm hoping I have at least a few keepers from them for my flock.

Ideal's prices and shipping is very reasonable. Of all the hatcheries I looked at they were the most affordable and where I decided to start. As time goes on and I need to add fresh blood I may order from other hatcheries looking for my idea of what a good sultan should look like. The only problem with Ideal is that it's straight run only on Sultans. Everywhere else I looked was out of pullets for the "year" already :(

Good news is that I've decided to take my Flossy Mae(and some English budgies and cockatiels) to the high school for a genetics lesson on Tuesday. I am hoping she gets some people interested in sultans when they see how beautiful they can be.

Flossy thinks she's well hidden

Sultan babies. 2 in here are from a buff brahma mixed mother(little black butt in the center). I have one little boy and one little girl both look different than each other but silver or lavender for the boy(far right edge). There's also a mixed silkie chick in the picture and a little serama youngster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom