The Timid Roo

EELover

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Ok so I have a flock of 12 BR's and 1 Ameraucana. I have 4 roos for my BR's, 8 hens for my BR's, and my Ameraucana is a roo. I was thinking about making the Ameraucana my main roo and eventually killing off the other roos. Here is my problem. The Ameraucana is the low man on the totem poll. He has no tail feathers because the other chickens (not sure if it was just the roosters or the hens too) have plucked them out. He stays on the roosting poll instead of snuggling in the nesting box with the others at night. He is very sweet but maybe too sweet? Will he get better when the other roos are gone? I have not heard him crow yet but I see knubs on his feet for spurs and I haven't found any blue or green eggs. He also doesn't mount any of the hens. Do I keep him or do I make one of the BR's my rooster so that I know that they will do their job? It would be nice to have mixed breeds but that won't happen if he doesn't do his job.

Both of my lav orp roos were low male. They have come out of their shell since I put them in their own pens with girls. Sometimes it takes a bit longer off them to come in to their own, especially if they are more passive and other roos are there. I would decide what roo your keeping and pull the others off so your guys has a chance to assert himself and start "owning" the girls. He more likely than not won't become the roo he can be until the other guys are gone.

My favorite Roo is a BCW Polish and is always getting beat up and feather plucked - currently has a bald spot on the top of his head. I started with 9 roosters and have been slowly getting rid of them. As each one goes he comes out of his shell a little more. I finally heard him crow about two weeks ago. Right now I still have 5 roos but want it down to 4 and then split them between large and small birds, hopefully that will help him a bit more. The girls love him though and aren't scared of him like some of the "tough" guys.

Back
Top Bottom