The Trap Nesting Thread

Lemme get this straight. Your sole purpose in building these nests is to find out who is laying and who is not? Perhaps you wanna find out who is laying which egg? If all you wanna do is find out who is laying and who isn`t, there is a much simpler and easier way. Just feel the bones under their vent. A full size hen, like the ones pictured, will have enough space between the bones to lay 3 fingertips in there. Pullets somewhat less room and bantams even less. Easiest way is to pick them off the roost at night. Now, if it`s who is laying which egg, then all ya gotta do is pen the hens alone for a day or so. Maybe you have another reason, or just like creating things for your girls. Enlighten me..........Pop

hi pop, well its for many reasons ....1 is for knowing who laid which egg......i'm gonna keep a log of each bird i own. the trap nest is to take any guess work out......the one's who lays lesser eggs will be culled from flock.....the idea is to establish a high yielding egg laying flock...then breed from those.....from my research, its how the egg industry was established....for instance i wouldnt use azil for egg layers because they lay less than 100 eggs a year most lay less than 50

Last edited:
hey pop lets say you had a trio of those reza' you like.......u put them in a pen ......by using a trap nest in there pen u know what bird laid what egg.......and dont tell me it doesnt matter.....because azil hens will hatch anything.......so u really dont know until they hatch.....with a trap nest there is no doubt

robert u are so right about that.......this is why i'm re-introducing this method

moving forward, o.k. so i decided that maybe my boxes were to flimsy so i made one with tounge and groove boards like mentioned in link above
56493_trap_nest_006.jpg
the thing is solid as can be......and it doubles as a chair when i'm tired....lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom