The Trap Nesting Thread

I suppose anything is possible. Having a "sterile" hen might not be that at all though. If she wiggles and doesn't let the rooster do his thing properly or there's too many feathers around the spot in question, that might make it seem she was sterile. But like I said, anything is possible. Personally, the hen I have that is not easily made fertile is not one I picked as a breeder. For obvious reasons.

genisis1verse1...........
the funny thing is I have a six foot fence around my birds roughly a 20 foot by 60 foot area.It was really a surprise attack.The first I ever encountered I never seen a hawk close up before and was amazed at how huge it was.They dont look that big in the sky,but from 4 feet away they look like giants next to my chickens esp. my roosters.I can tell you that the hens made so much noise when that hawk was on the yard that I could hear them from inside the house.

The incubator gets cranked up today.Hopefully I can do better with my next generation.

MANOZ,

So sorry to hear about your loss. My pen is 6 ft tall and open on top. I haven't had the money to put a top over it or anything but it's been a year and no animal attacks whatsoever. We have hawks flying around all the time out here. I don't know why they haven't struck yet. Not sure if it's because we are outside a lot, or because of our dogs or what. One attack like that and I would do my best to make it like fort knox around here. Dang, that stinks.

Hi,
If your pen is uncovered, zig-zag 50# mono-filament fishing line back and forth across the top. Tie a few strips of fabric or other material to the line to show there is something to avoid.
From my experience hawks, crows will not try to fly in between the line if it is close enough. I guess it disrupts flapping wings.

Hi,
If your pen is uncovered, zig-zag 50# mono-filament fishing line back and forth across the top. Tie a few strips of fabric or other material to the line to show there is something to avoid.
From my experience hawks, crows will not try to fly in between the line if it is close enough. I guess it disrupts flapping wings.

Thanks, I may try this.

Yes, the fishing line does work. And let me tell you from personal experience that those hawks don't just LOOK huge up close, they are! I managed to foil a hawk attack by physically grabbing a wing and pulling it off the bird about a week ago. Spun that booger around and off we go. It managed to get a talon on my finger before I let it go but the chicken is doing well now (punctures in it's back over 1/2" deep!) and my hand is about healed. And I know, let me tell you, how heavy that thing was and that it's wing span was well over 4 feet!

Last edited:
I got to my birds to late,sighs.........You live and you learn!!!!

You do indeed. After 3 years of watching hawks wheel overhead and never be interested in my "oh they're too big for the hawks" Orpingtons, one nearly took out my most prized pullet! Luckily I was there!!! I can't think God enough for that.

We are going to start breeding Anconas next year, well actually the following year since next year we're going to get our starting stock.

I have been reading as much as I can given the limited amount of time I have. The old timers spent years perfecting their lines, they kept meticulous records and they trap nested! Why don't we?

My mentor has told me 'you don't have the time to trap nest", he's right, I don't but my six home schooled kids do! We will be trap nesting and we will be keeping IMACULATE records!

It seems that the easiest, most reliable trap nest design would be a modification to the one as used by the Belgian Marans club. Fewest moving parts, simplest design. I'll use a tiny screw to rest the trap door on. 3/4" plywood for the box 1/4" for the doors. Epoxy for the inside of the nest boxes so they can be easily cleaned and kept mite free. Dimensions 14' x 14"x 24"

Comments, suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom