The Wally-Gee Bee Journey 🐝

Pics
Fine, take the easy route. 🙄
flamethrower GIF
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...ds%20burning%20down%20the%20house&FORM=VDVVXX

In an effort to be a little more hands off and let my bees do their thing, I ended up letting hive beetles slime my hive. It was pretty much devastated. The queen and some faithful workers are still there. We’re gonna move them to a nuc with some frames from my buddy and try to salvage this colony. I feel like I failed them but maybe all is not lost. I’ll update when I can.

In an effort to be a little more hands off and let my bees do their thing, I ended up letting hive beetles slime my hive. It was pretty much devastated. The queen and some faithful workers are still there. We’re gonna move them to a nuc with some frames from my buddy and try to salvage this colony. I feel like I failed them but maybe all is not lost. I’ll update when I can.
I look at it as 'if you work to right the wrong and learn what caused it',, you didn't fail them

I went to a meeting of the local bee club, and the topic was treating varroa. Very interesting!

The presenter was of the opinion that early-mid August was a prime time to treat, so that the hive goes into fall with strong, healthy bees.

Any opinions?
Was this treating with chemical? I'm going to try brood interruption on my strongest hive. Other keepers in the colder climates seem to be having good results, I'm in NJ, so I will try it. Our breeders are also having fair results breeding varroa resistant strains from Saskatraz Hybrids, with what I don't remember. Any time I can avoid chemicals I will. Now going into the dearth period.

Was this treating with chemical? I'm going to try brood interruption on my strongest hive. Other keepers in the colder climates seem to be having good results, I'm in NJ, so I will try it. Our breeders are also having fair results breeding varroa resistant strains from Saskatraz Hybrids, with what I don't remember. Any time I can avoid chemicals I will. Now going into the dearth period.
Yes, chemical treatment. Oxalic acid vapor was his treatment of choice.

We have Formic Pro, and DH thinks we ought to put it in tomorrow, as we have at least a week of cooler weather, under the 85 temp cutoff for Formic Pro use.

Brood interruption... I haven't heard of that. I'll google it, but if you have a link, that would be great.

I'd like to get VSH, or resistant strains, eventually. I'm kind of stuck with the Italians I have, atm. This is our first hive, our first year. Really just going by the seat of our pants and trying to learn all we can.

We have a couple of basswood (Linden) trees in bloom, and I've read that they are the best source of pollen and nectar there is. We will have a large field of goldenrod in bloom soon too, and other good source.

I would love to not need any chemical treatments. I just stumbled on a website that talked about using rhubarb leaves and stems (which contain oxalic acid) as a treatment. I'd never heard of it, and maybe it's as useful as DE is for mites/lice with chickens.

Yes, chemical treatment. Oxalic acid vapor was his treatment of choice.

We have Formic Pro, and DH thinks we ought to put it in tomorrow, as we have at least a week of cooler weather, under the 85 temp cutoff for Formic Pro use.

Brood interruption... I haven't heard of that. I'll google it, but if you have a link, that would be great.

I'd like to get VSH, or resistant strains, eventually. I'm kind of stuck with the Italians I have, atm. This is our first hive, our first year. Really just going by the seat of our pants and trying to learn all we can.

We have a couple of basswood (Linden) trees in bloom, and I've read that they are the best source of pollen and nectar there is. We will have a large field of goldenrod in bloom soon too, and other good source.

I would love to not need any chemical treatments. I just stumbled on a website that talked about using rhubarb leaves and stems (which contain oxalic acid) as a treatment. I'd never heard of it, and maybe it's as useful as DE is for mites/lice with chickens.
The woman is a little over the top enthusiastic about bees but has a lot of good advise. Try to get some Basswood honey, one of my favorites. It has a little "hot pepper bite"

My bees are in a 5 frame nuc with 4 of the frames having drawn comb (less work for the bees to deal with). I have a feeder out for them away from the hive. I’m scared they could get robbed out. Numbers are real low. It’s up to them now. Honestly, I doubt they make it but I hope they do.

Back
Top Bottom