The Wally-Gee Bee Journey 🐝

Pics
If you want them to draw comb quicker, you have to feed them.
I totally get that and agree, but my friend and bee mentor told me they are fine. I just didn’t have any point of reference so I wasn’t sure what to expect. They’re a small colony but seem to be healthy and active.

I'm assuming sugar syrup..? 1:1, right?

When do you feed 2:1 syrup? When do you feed pollen patties?
The rule of thumb is 1:1 in the spring and 2:1 in the fall. 1:1 is easier to make. If I do need to feed a hive, I always feed 2:1 because bees dont know the difference and what they need is the sugar. Some beekeepers claim 1:1 stimulates them more to draw comb and raise brood, I dont see any difference. It's said that 1:1 more closely matches nectar, but the reality is that all flowers produce different concentrations of sugar to water. 1:1 is fine in the spring but not in the fall because it takes the bees longer to cure it into honey and cap it and could cause moisture problems going into winter. I rarely feed. I leave plenty of stores on in the fall and I dont buy packages or nucs that need to be fed.

I dont feed pollen substitutes or supplements. Im fortunate to have great sources of pollen coming in from spring till fall. I have colonies get pollen bound some years. Pollen subs were developed for large commercial operations to try and artificially boost colony size to meet pollination contracts. Unless you live in an area with poor forage I honestly dont think they are necessary for backyard beekeepers. I fed them one year and saw no difference between colonies that I fed a pollen sub. In fact, it looked to me like they were discarding it. If you do choose to feed, use a supplement like global patties that has actual irradiated pollen in it. Emily Noordyke at Florida University did some excellent research on pollen subs. I believe her presentations may be on YouTube. Definitely worth watching.

https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/entnemde...len-substitute-patties-in-a-honey-bee-colony/

I totally get that and agree, but my friend and bee mentor told me they are fine. I just didn’t have any point of reference so I wasn’t sure what to expect. They’re a small colony but seem to be healthy and active.
I dont have any experience with keeping bees in the South. Your mentor knows best. My only concern is that if it's a small colony it could be a secondary swarm. In that case the queen isn't mated yet. Keep in mind that the bees are of mixed ages in a swarm so the foragers will start to die off before the first round of offspring begin to emerge. It takes 21 days from egg to adult. You will see a drop in population before they begin to pick back up again. Just do a quick weekly check until you see eggs or larva. I got a primary swarm call last weekend, it was over 7 lbs.
IMG_20230507_122250413_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I *think* we have plenty of pollen, if what I've read is correct. We have lots of red and white oak, and they are just now starting to flower.

I'm planting a bee flower patch and buying a redbud and serviceberry tree this year. I know these will take a year or more to get going.

I *think* we have plenty of pollen, if what I've read is correct.
Most likely you do. A fun thing to do is check out a radius map tool, there are several online. Drop a point on your hive location and draw a two mile radius and this will give you an idea of where your bees will be foraging. Two miles is about average for foragers and covers 8042.5 acres!

I got a cute gift of local honey yesterday. It's a lot lighter than I thought it would bee(see what I did there?) Seriously though, does the honey get darker later in the season or does it depend on the flowers that are around?View attachment 3507775
We had a guy in 4H who bred bees and goats. His family always said the honey color depended on what plant the nectar came from

Back
Top Bottom