The Wally-Gee Bee Journey 🐝

Pics
Can you tell how it died? No sign of varroa mites, I hope.
Oh I hope not. I really can’t tell, but I know so very little. Its rear end was dark looking and a little mashed in. That could have been from falling inside to the floor. I don’t know. I was seeing it as good news since it was only one and I have been looking for signs of new bees.

It’s just my massive hand that makes it look little.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Those that had bees already established when Spring hit this year only had a small advantage over me. That last nasty freeze put a damper on the Spring flow. I find myself looking for nectar sources to bridge the gap to the great golden rod flow of late summer and early fall. To my surprise, we are literally covered up with a favorite of the honey bee. Beech trees are mega abundant in these woods and there’s a giant one in my front yard! I know the bees will figure it out, but this is mainly for my sanity. Today, they were very active around the hive. I even got booped in the back of the head. I didn’t get stung, I just got in the way. Every day I have to resist the urge to open the hive and see what’s going on. My plan is to let them go for a month before I look again. I hope to find a colony of bees wishing for more room, because I’m ready to grant that wish!

Back
Top Bottom