The Wally-Gee Bee Journey 🐝

Pics
See anything funny about this pic?
IMG_3831.jpeg

What do you look for when deciding whether to make a split?

What about timing? Someone at the meeting said when the dandelions are in bloom is when you split, if you're going to.

After the meeting on Wednesday night and looking at a lot of stuff online, my brain is overflowing.

What about timing? Someone at the meeting said when the dandelions are in bloom is when you split, if you're going to.

After the meeting on Wednesday night and looking at a lot of stuff online, my brain is overflowing.
I’m not the guy to answer that question. I do know this. You can wait for the bees to decide and keep swarm traps around your apiary that will hopefully attract them. Not very scientific.

Some will split when they uncap purple eye drones, I wait until mature drones are flying.

It’s full on everything blooming springtime around here. I really don’t think they need a feeder right now. I was actually talking about the Q-tip that they ejected out the front door and onto ground.
They definitely need a feeder. Judging from the photo they just dont have enough foragers to bring in enough pollen and nectar to raise brood. They're going to dwindle on you. Also reduce that entrance to about a quarter.

They definitely need a feeder. Judging from the photo they just dont have enough foragers to bring in enough pollen and nectar to raise brood. They're going to dwindle on you. Also reduce that entrance to about a quarter.
I agree about the entrance. I actually have a reducer for it. You’re only seeing a moment in time. They are zooming in and out of there like crazy. Pollen and nectar are in abundance. The evidence is in the comb. I did see lots of nectar and some uncapped honey. The pollen is coming in as well, although I didn’t see tons of it in the cells. Lots was covered with bees that I didn’t want to disturb. I’ve been wrong before and I value your input which I hope you keep giving. I just don’t believe a feeder is necessary at this time.

I just don’t believe a feeder is necessary at this time.
I understand, you could be correct that they will make it on their own. One thing to consider is that a swarm is similar to a package or nuc, its important to feed them until they build up to a full size colony. Less than 10% of swarms in the wild survive their first year, so the odds are against them.

Back
Top Bottom