The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
Yes, they do look mottled. The rooster looks like he may be displaying a bit of birchen in him as well. I'm by far no genetics expert though, just trying to help.

I have a question...what color would you call this EE?

Thanks!

Henk69:

No, salmon breast means that she is not even heterozygous wheaten (most of the time). Duckwing (e+), splash patterned, maybe silver (else the neck should show gold feathers).

So what would her color be called? Duckwing Splash? I'm confused :)

I have an EE that I know came out of a Lavender Ameraucana cock. However, I can't tell whether she is lavender herself or just blue. I have a picture of the pullet in question and her "brother." I know they share the same male lineage, not sure about the female side, though. I bought them from an auction listing here. As chicks I could not tell them apart. I have a black Ameraucana cock, so I could put her with him and hatch a batch of eggs. If they come out 50/50 black/blue then I'll know she's blue. I know my cock does not carry Lavender, so that shouldn't throw me for a loop. If they all came out black, then I could safely assume she has 2 copies of Lavender and maybe some kind of melanizer? Does that follow? However, since she isn't laying yet (she's almost 6 months old, though) I can't test it out first-hand. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Hi! I am very interested in the discussion for the dun/smokey color. Last year I had a flock of chickens that carried the dun gene and that is how I referred to them, because I wasn't familiar with the smokey gene. Now, I'm not so sure after looking at the info and pics. So, I'll see what the experts think. As I stated last year I had the original flock and I bred them. I sold a few eggs on here (Henk69 might remember it). I will put pics of the original flock so you can see the colors that I'm talking about:

KING (LEFT) KONG (RIGHT) .....HENS IN BACKGROUND
101680_chocogroup4.jpg

KING IN THE COOP WITH 2 HENS
101680_cooppicofchoco.jpg

Breeding Hens: Penny(Back facing sideways) - Patty(Right Butt Shot) - Peggy (Left Butt Shot)
101680_chocohens3.jpg

And another picture showing the splash of colors of (Brown/Chocolate/Black) on the breeding hens
101680_henschococloseup.jpg

HERE'S A CLOSE-UP OF KING
101680_chocoroo.jpg

The pictures above are all of the original flock that I had with the Dun Genetics. They produced the following birds:

FLOCK OF DUN OR IS IT SMOKEY GENE SHOWING HERE? THEY LOOK BLACK BUT NOT IF YOU PUT THEM BESIDE A REAL BLACK ORPINGTON. YOU CAN DEFINITELY TELL THE DIFFERENCE!
900x900px-LL-2f17410a_KingNKongBabies.jpeg

CLOSE-UP OF ONE OF THE OFFSPRING
900x900px-LL-4318fa2f_hen.jpeg

THE REAR ENDS OF TWO OF THE OFF SPRING
900x900px-LL-b68c94b7_backsides.jpeg

NOW THIS IS ANOTHER ONE OF THE OFF SPRING THAT IS VERY BLACK, BUT I SEE THE DUN COLORING IN HIS TAIL FEATHERS? I'VE BEEN SAYING HIS A BLACK ORPINGTON. AM I WRONG?
900x900px-LL-91693f91_BlackJack.jpeg

I'M PUTTING IN THE SMOKEY TABLE FOR COMPARISON TO MY BIRDS:

Now, I took the offspring and bred them together and these are the chicks that I have produced. In real life their wings look medium gray and their underside look gray.:

1 LIGHT GRAY AND THE OTHERS ARE DARK DUN OR SMOKEY?

All of the chick pictures above are the result of breeding the offspring of the original stock. As you can see....I produced 1 chick that is totally gray and the rest are very dark, but have a dun down. I also notice some white on a few wings in the group.

• I would like to get the experts take on this project.
  • Can you tell me what the light gray chick would be?
  • Would this be the Smokey Gene that was discussed earlier in the thread (Post #97) or do I just have Dun?
  • Also, it was said that to get the milk chocolate color that you could breed the gray to red modifiers? I'm a little confused on that....would I breed to a red orpington possibly?
  • I really want to be able to produce the Milk Chocolate color of the original birds again and have them breed true. How would I go about that?
  • I know that I still need to work on their type, but I'm trying so hard to have them breed true. I think they are gorgeous!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I thought you would want to see all of the parentage of this line.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom