TheCluckyClucker's flock thread

Pics
I want to breed Nugget, my golden laced Sebright, to Soldier or Little Big Shot, my Black Cochin Bantam roosters. I am hoping to get a chicken with Cochin body and Sebright lacing.I know there are Golden Laced Cochins bit I was wondering if I could basically make one. I want to keep feathered feet, but blue legs are fine. It would have a single comb as the Sebright has a single even though she is not supposed to. If you want more pictures I can get some. I will probably hatch next spring, so that is when this would take place.
Nugget the Golden Laced Sebright:
View attachment 2930149View attachment 2930150

Soldier the Black Cochin Bantam:
View attachment 2930152View attachment 2930156

Little Big Shot the Black Cochin Bantam:
View attachment 2930158View attachment 2930163

This is EXACTLY the project I did - except instead of aiming for laced cochin, I aimed for going back to sebright qualities :)

I'm about five generations in - here are some pictures to show my progression:

Rusty - Generation two

Rusty Rooster.jpg

Honk and Grumpy - Generation Three

Hens C & D - 2Yr.jpg

Sable - Generation Four

2020 Project Hen 1 Cropped.jpg

The Galaxies - Generation Five!
These are my most recent babies growing on. They are missing a couple of the lacing genes so have lacing but it's not correct and doesn't cover all the body. BUT .. I have consistently chosen for extra melanisers and I find the combination of variable lacing and heavy black quite pretty. Because the lacing is not full, variable, each bird is unique which I like too. In addition, these girls have the gold dilute gene, so are Citroen in colour (not the regular gold).

2021 Galaxies C.jpg

A Generation Four Hen - Pekin Type
This is an example of one of the project hens that has thrown more to the pekin type.
This is an example of what you could get if you are actively trying to go with cochin type.
She has the single comb, blue legs, no leg feathers on this girl but only because I was selecting against it, and of course the lovely partial lacing. A pretty lady!!
Hen B - 1Yr.jpg

This is EXACTLY the project I did - except instead of aiming for laced cochin, I aimed for going back to sebright qualities :)

I'm about five generations in - here are some pictures to show my progression:

Rusty - Generation two

View attachment 2930241

Honk and Grumpy - Generation Three

View attachment 2930242

Sable - Generation Four

View attachment 2930245

The Galaxies - Generation Five!
These are my most recent babies growing on. They are missing a couple of the lacing genes so have lacing but it's not correct and doesn't cover all the body. BUT .. I have consistently chosen for extra melanisers and I find the combination of variable lacing and heavy black quite pretty. Because the lacing is not full, variable, each bird is unique which I like too. In addition, these girls have the gold dilute gene, so are Citroen in colour (not the regular gold).

View attachment 2930207

A Generation Four Hen - Pekin Type
This is an example of one of the project hens that has thrown more to the pekin type.
This is an example of what you could get if you are actively trying to go with cochin type.
She has the single comb, blue legs, no leg feathers on this girl but only because I was selecting against it, and of course the lovely partial lacing. A pretty lady!!
View attachment 2930246
Yes! The last one is exactly what I am hoping for with feathered feet! I will update here if I do it. You have pretty birds!

Yes! The last one is exactly what I am hoping for with feathered feet! I will update here if I do it. You have pretty birds!
Well I can tell you it's not a difficult project - it just takes time and the ability to be firm about only keeping one or two birds to continue the breeding program with the next year.
I've had some serious issues at times, making that choice, because you regularly come to love the birds you raise, and in my case it's usually the ones least suitable for the breeding program that I have the most attachment too (GAH!).

For the ones I cannot reasonably keep for the breeding program I make sure they find lovely family homes here locally :)

Paw gave me this this afternoon. My great grandma passed away last year and they are still cleaning out her house. He said he found this. I mentioned that I am Catholic and my family has been for a GOOD while. He said this was a matchbox that she probably carried with her so if there was a holy candle that needed lit, she had matches. I have a collection of things that are from family members that have passed. They mean a lot.
20211215_200813.jpg

Sorry for getting off topic. Here is my tax:
20211215_122028.jpg

Paw gave me this this afternoon. My great grandma passed away last year and they are still cleaning out her house. He said he found this. I mentioned that I am Catholic and my family has been for a GOOD while. He said this was a matchbox that she probably carried with her so if there was a holy candle that needed lit, she had matches. I have a collection of things that are from family members that have passed. They mean a lot.
View attachment 2930517

Sorry for getting off topic. Here is my tax:
View attachment 2930520
Chipmunk looks like he is trying to ”show off” 🤣

Chipmunk looks like he is trying to ”show off” 🤣
As always. He literally walks around shuffles at his ladies, shuffles at you, crows, struts around, crows again, and again, and again, then sttuts some more. He thinks he is so big when compared to Soldier is tiny. He is scared of people though. I think if you were to have him in a walk in coop, he would run every time. He is so scared that if you pick him up he literally shakes.

As always. He literally walks around shuffles at his ladies, shuffles at you, crows, struts around, crows again, and again, and again, then sttuts some more. He thinks he is so big when compared to Soldier is tiny. He is scared of people though. I think if you were to have him in a walk in coop, he would run every time. He is so scared that if you pick him up he literally shakes.
My rooster is kind of the same. He is getting “tamer”, but is still very scared of you if you go “in his space”. That is about 4 feet away from him. I would love to pet him, (especially that fluffy hair), but I can’t. I did manage to touch his ”hair” 2 days ago, but when he was asleep. :lau

See: Fluffy hair. You just HAVE to touch it at least once!

Attachments

• CAA3EFAE-9B32-4D75-B2EE-8DBDB712337A.jpeg
    CAA3EFAE-9B32-4D75-B2EE-8DBDB712337A.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 2
  • D4604B79-9AF9-4CA7-A02A-61FE879149FA.jpeg
    D4604B79-9AF9-4CA7-A02A-61FE879149FA.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 2
My rooster is kind of the same. He is getting “tamer”, but is still very scared of you if you go “in his space”. That is about 4 feet away from him. I would love to pet him, (especially that fluffy hair), but I can’t. I did manage to touch his ”hair” 2 days ago, but when he was asleep. :lau

See: Fluffy hair. You just HAVE to touch it at least once!
He is adorable! I pick Chipmunk up sometimes just so I can look at him and do a health check since I am not with them all the time. I suppose after a while he kinda calms down because he will start crowing while you are holding him. It freaked me out the first time, cause I was holding him, petting that long tail, and uhh-uhh-ugh-ugh-aaaaaaaaa! I was like woah. Did you really just crow while I am holding you, really? Loudmouth!

Back
Top Bottom