There should be a *RANT* section

holliewould

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Planet Earth
Last year I clipped my chickens wings to prevent them from flying over my garden fence. Well they just got done molting and have new wing feathers. What do you think was the first thing they did with their new feathers? Flew over the garden fence and beaked up everything. Nothing survived in my little garden. Not even one bleak weed remains. I'm heartbroken. I feel like a Fraggle that's constantly rebuilding what the destroyers eat. Thanks for letting me rant, I know most of you feel my pain.

H

Yup, i feel your pain. I cant have any flowers in my yard at all
hit.gif
... they tore up my flower bed i worked so hard on..
hit.gif
smack.gif

They destroyed my strawberry patch and totally uprooted by Scotchbroom. Argh!
barnie.gif

Oh, but a rant section would be good, but occassionally can have the potential to be not so family friendly.

Quote:
Ugh. If I had that shovel right now, I would......... now I'm having evil thoughts. Gaw they got me so angry. My garden was doing so good too. I feel the need to get back at them. I want to retaliate somehow. Maybe pluck some butt feathers or something LOL.

Yup been there done that so I built a run with a 7 foot tall fence and loads of bark for them to scratch through and they've shown no desire to hop the fence. So far. Though they do look at my new plants and sort of lick their lips.....if they had lips.

I can relate to the feeling of seeing something so small making so much damage in your yard.
I remember the shasta daisies without any petals. All stems, leaves and little black nubs. Or the scratched and ripped impatiens that are barely found after the crowd stomps through the yard.
I had four hens who insisted on jumping over the fence around their yard so they could have all my flowers and vegetables. I finally charged the fence. Guess what. They have been persuaded to stay in their yard. I haven't had to turn the fence on in weeks.

33792_dsc01657.jpg

I ran an energized wire with 16 gauge wire along side the wire portion of the fence. When the chicken lands on the fence, her little thumb wraps around the energized wire and WOW she jumps back into her yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom