Thermometer and hydrometers

fleurchickens

Chirping
Aug 8, 2021
Which brand do you recommend for your incubator? I have the Little Giant still air incubator and need to buy a new thermometer/hydrometer.

Oh man… Good luck with that! I used a still air LG a few times and it sucked. Needed a lot of modifications to work, most notably a fan. Get multiple thermometers and place them in different parts of the incubator, at egg level, and find your hot/cold spots. I used reptile thermometers, because they are more convenient - the probe is inside, but the display is outside where it’s easier to read. Don’t forget to calibrate all new thermometers and hygrometers, too! For the hygrometer test, leave it in the bag at least 24 hours. Some online guides say 8–10, but in my experience that’s not enough. The reading keeps changing past the 10 hours. Good luck!

Hello all, hoping you can help...I have a Janoel 12 incubator and going to try to hatch quail eggs for the first time (I have a larger incubator as well, but wanted to "start small" my first time). I'm testing it out now with no eggs, to get familiar with it.

Here's the issue, the incubator has a temperature gauge, but no hygrometer. No problem, I actually bought the one Rose noted above as many people said it's accurate. I found it to be about 5-6 degrees off from the incubator. So I bought a second thermometer/hygrometer...and that is another 5-6 degrees off in temperature, and 10-15% off in humidity!!! For example;

Unit set at 101/one meter reads 89.5deg and 61% /second meter reads 94.5deg and 53%
Unit set at 102/ one meter reads 90deg and 63%/second meter reads 96deg and 55%
Unit set at 103/ one meter reads 91deg and 62% /second meter reads 97 deg and 53%

(the second meter is the one Rose noted above)

So they are moving in sync, but a pretty big disparity. Do I split the difference? I usually see humidity noted in ranges, so I would considering doing that, but for temperature, it seems to be much less forgiving so I'm concerned about taking the average there.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Hello all, hoping you can help...I have a Janoel 12 incubator and going to try to hatch quail eggs for the first time (I have a larger incubator as well, but wanted to "start small" my first time). I'm testing it out now with no eggs, to get familiar with it.

Here's the issue, the incubator has a temperature gauge, but no hygrometer. No problem, I actually bought the one Rose noted above as many people said it's accurate. I found it to be about 5-6 degrees off from the incubator. So I bought a second thermometer/hygrometer...and that is another 5-6 degrees off in temperature, and 10-15% off in humidity!!! For example;

Unit set at 101/one meter reads 89.5deg and 61% /second meter reads 94.5deg and 53%
Unit set at 102/ one meter reads 90deg and 63%/second meter reads 96deg and 55%
Unit set at 103/ one meter reads 91deg and 62% /second meter reads 97 deg and 53%

(the second meter is the one Rose noted above)

So they are moving in sync, but a pretty big disparity. Do I split the difference? I usually see humidity noted in ranges, so I would considering doing that, but for temperature, it seems to be much less forgiving so I'm concerned about taking the average there.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
If you have a human medical thermometer you can turn it on and quickly drop it inside to get a definitely accurate temperature, and compare it to the other thermometers to see which is correct or mark on them how far out they are. Keep in mind some incubators could have hot/cold spots.

Hygrometers can be put in a ziplock back with a small container of wet salt (a bottle cap full will do) and left for 24 hours it should read 75% if it doesn't then mark how far off it is from that number to get an accurate %.

I’m looking at getting the Nurture Right 360 would I still need an extra thermometer/hydrometer? I’ve hear really good things about it.

I’m looking at getting the Nurture Right 360 would I still need an extra thermometer/hydrometer? I’ve hear really good things about it.
Better safe than sorry. You can always just test the built-in sensors with a pair of calibrated extras, and if they match, then you can go with the built-ins for the actual incubation.

Back
Top Bottom