Thermometer/Hydrometer inconsistencies

May 17, 2022
So last hatch I had some problems that were related to bad or fluctuations in temps/humidity (spraddle leg in one chick, a late hatch, and shrink wrapping during hatch) so I decided that my hydrometer/Thermometer might be problematic.

I bought a govee wireless dongle version so my phone would be alerted if there were changes, but now I’m getting three very different temperatures.

I’m doing an empty test run to make sure I’ve got things under control before my next hatch buuut…

The incubator is saying it’s 103.8 —this one I know is running high, this bator has been wrong from the start always saying it’s higher than it is. My original (IncuTherm plus) is saying it’s 100.1 and the new one (Govee Wi-Fi) is saying it’s 93.9 and now I have no idea which one is correct, if any at all. I’m thinking the govee may be the right one due to the late hatch but now I’m stressing about the entire thing.

How do you guys test and calibrate your thermometers to make sure they’re accurate? Is there a brand or type that people generally trust over others?

Last edited:
Get some digital medical theromometers. They're cheap. I drill a 3/16 inch hole in the top of the incubator to accept the tip of a theromometer so there is a place to check the temperature without opening the incubator.

Get some digital medical theromometers. They're cheap. I drill a 3/16 inch hole in the top of the incubator to accept the tip of a theromometer so there is a place to check the temperature without opening the incubator.

That’s a great idea! The medical thermometers should be pretty accurate too. Thanks :)

That’s a great idea! The medical thermometers should be pretty accurate too. Thanks :)
Yes, they're fairly accurate because they have a very narrow range but perhaps not as accurate as you would like. Get three or four and compare the temperatures when they're all together.. There may a quarter to half degree F diffference. I just figure the real temperature is somewhere around the average.

Back
Top Bottom