These eggs aren't blue!! :(

Kluk-Kluk

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 11, 2014
upstate New York
I've been looking at photos are members' wonderful, colorful "rainbow" eggs and have wanted the same. But I'm limited in space and can't have that many chickens. I already had brown egg layers, some Easter Eggers that lay green eggs, and although I searched locally for Black Copper Marans and/or olive eggers, I couldn't find any. So I purchased two Cream Legbars in late summer - wonderful girls, great temperament, friendly, and they would lay blue eggs, I read. Blue. I didn't have any blue egg layers, so I awaited their first eggs with excitement.

The big moment came a few days ago. True to write-ups of the breed, the first egg was not in the nest. On My Pet Chicken, I read, "If you like to go a-hunting for your eggs, this is the breed for you, because for some odd reason, laying outdoors is their favorite." Well, the egg wasn't outside, but in the wood shavings on the floor. I've had to hunt for their eggs more than once.

But I would hardly call the eggs blue. Both my Cream Legbars have been laying for a week now, and other than size, I can't tell their eggs from the Easter Eggers' (who are 2 years old). I find that disappointing because all the green eggs below look about the same, yet they're from both Easter Eggers and Cream Legbars. Anyone else have this experience?

Is there any blue egg layer that really lays blue eggs???

DSC06145 blue eggs.jpg

The two eggs in the five and six-o'clock position look more blue to me than the eggs at upper left, but I don't know what a Cream Legbar egg should look like. Can somebody post a pic of a true blue egg for comparison? Personally I think OP's eggs are very pretty.

Ameraucanas lay pure blue eggs. Beware, a lot of hatcheries sell “americanas” that are actually
Easter Eggers. Murray McMurray for example. Very few hatcheries sell pure ameraucanas, so you may have to find a breeder. Their eggs are always a sky blue. If the hatchery says they lay blue/green eggs, it’s an EE.

How do I do that? I've always purchased locally. I don't show the birds, so perfect birds aren't important, though I would like some, say, Black Copper Marans that really lay the dark, dark eggs. And buying from Craigslist ads probably isn't the best option. What do you suggest?
I would suggest searching for whatever you're looking for here on BYC....where you can see pictures of eggs laid by the person's birds.

Back
Top Bottom