They are here !!!!!

chicken_ladyGA

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Chatsworth,Georgia
My hen finally hatched the eggs . They are sooo adorable ... but what now I am wanting to build a brooder box any suggestions ? and will she lead them outside to feed and water or should i put in coop and her nest is pretty off the ground chicks couldn't get out or in alone ? so pls help

Last edited:
I have no idea what to suggest as I have yet to have a broody hen and all my chicks thus far came in the mail. Hopefully, someone can help.

How high off the floor is the bottom of the nest?

Maybe find a temporary way to block them away from the rest? You may not have the room, but.... I am not that knowledgeable, but I know our chicks didn't do well with the rest of the flock.

I would like to think that babies should be with the mother hen unless she was broody, but a crappy mom now that they're born. If you need to put them in a brooder, go for it, but I'd give mom a chance first.

Thats just me and LOTS less trubble.
roll.png

I'd try to keep them in a corner of the coop where they won't get pooped on in a cage big enough to move around in and with water and feed. She'll protect them with the rest of the flock once they are three or four weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom