They are not impressed with the snow!!

Mine hate it as well!
_MG_3151.jpg

Mine hate it as well!
_MG_3151.jpg

This is the cutest pic ever!!! I want silkies, but i'm scared by big ones will beat on them. I already have 2 coops, so my boyfriend will probably run away if i ask him to build another!!

My wife let them out before I got up.
But out was not on their agenda.
I went out and shoveled a bit, only an inch or two on the ground.
But they clustered and watched from under the coop, or inside.
Melted the block of ice and replaced it with drinking water,
filled their feeder.

So I'm about to go back in when I see my two Hamburgs calmly wandering
back down the hill in the backyard, unperturbed by the snow falling on them,
oblivious to the snow covering their little blue legs, checking to see what I'm up to.

The 2 RIR's haven't even ventured onto a white patch and the Hamburgs are back
from the morning stroll getting ready to lay. With their skinny legs and puffy coats
they reminded me of an Edwin Gorey cartoon.

They can be skittish and flighty and lay small eggs but I can understand why
some love the breed so much. Tough little suckahs.

Snow is serious business.

These guys spend most of their foraging time in snowless locations.

When not feeding, they like to find locations that have a combination of characteristics including; snowless position to stand, protection from wind, good exposure to sunlight and cover from arial predators (red-tail hawks in my case) and good feild of view to detect approaching fox. Having such a location close to a feeding station is another major plus when it is really cold and windy.

Sometimes they share such locations with wildlife (starlings shown) although flocks do seem to separate themselves.

Getting caught out in open can be a major problem if you have limited capacity for flight. Fred as shown below could not even launch himself once committed to a 125 foot treck that took him nearly an hour to complete. Any predator could have taken him out if enountering him then.

Some of my chickens have a well developed capacity for flight which they employ frequently once ground is snow covered. Flying is energetically demanding relative to typical walking but once snow is involved flight may well be the more effecient method for getting from point A to B. Below is a video clip showing effort some chickens will invest to avoid walking through snow. They will make multiple such flights each day, especically if all the food at a given location is consumed and they know more food is available at another location. Flights near end of 2+ minute video clip.

Poor Fred.....i'm happy mine have decided to stay in!!

Snow is serious business.

These guys spend most of their foraging time in snowless locations.

When not feeding, they like to find locations that have a combination of characteristics including; snowless position to stand, protection from wind, good exposure to sunlight and cover from arial predators (red-tail hawks in my case) and good feild of view to detect approaching fox. Having such a location close to a feeding station is another major plus when it is really cold and windy.

Sometimes they share such locations with wildlife (starlings shown) although flocks do seem to separate themselves.

Getting caught out in open can be a major problem if you have limited capacity for flight. Fred as shown below could not even launch himself once committed to a 125 foot treck that took him nearly an hour to complete. Any predator could have taken him out if enountering him then.

Some of my chickens have a well developed capacity for flight which they employ frequently once ground is snow covered. Flying is energetically demanding relative to typical walking but once snow is involved flight may well be the more effecient method for getting from point A to B. Below is a video clip showing effort some chickens will invest to avoid walking through snow. They will make multiple such flights each day, especically if all the food at a given location is consumed and they know more food is available at another location. Flights near end of 2+ minute video clip.

Back
Top Bottom