They aren't pipping! Am I worried for nothing!?

Orpington2813

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
Ok this is my first time hatching eggs and today is day 21! It is 10 o'clock and no pipping so far. I have 12 eggs. I candled them all before "lock down" and they all looked great! Should I be worried? When I put them in 21 days ago I did it in the evening so does that mean they will hatch this evening?

Don't panic :hugs

21 days is just a guide line and not set in stone. First thing did you count the day you set as day 1 or after a full 24 hours of incubation? Have your temps been ok during incubation?

After a full 24 hours and yes the temp has been perfect through out the incubation.
smile.png

I wouldn't worry just yet. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Even a degree low can possibly delay the hatch a bit. Even when using a broody - where the conditions are perfect - the hatch doesn't always occur "on time". As Yorkshire said, it's a guideline, not a timetable set in stone.

Do you have full confidence in your thermometer? There are a lot of different things that can affect when an egg actually hatches but temperature is critical. I’m hoping your incubator is just a tad cooler than you think.

Also if it is a still air, where you take the temperature is very important. In a still air the temperature should be 101.5 on top of the eggs. In a forced air the temperature should be 99.5 and the same no matter where you take it. I like forced air.

I’ve had eggs hatch a full two days early, in an incubator with the right temperature and under a broody. Some people have had them two or three days late. Don’t do anything drastic yet but just be patient. It’s a lot easier to say that when mine normally hatch a bit early, when mine are actually on time I’m starting to get concerned. You still have a good chance. Good luck!

I used another thermometer to make sure the one that came with it was right. It is forced air and It kept it the perfect temp the whole time. They are heavy breeds so I thought it might take a little longer but I'm getting worried. Every time I candled they looked great.

Back
Top Bottom