They hatched!!! supplemental heat?

Like a newly hatched chick? Not another hen, right? That's ok. When they're all hatching at the same time that happens. 💗
Yes, one of the recently hatched chicks was pecking the pipped spot on a hatching shell. I’m worried about the difference between hatch dates. Will the older babies hurt the new hatchling?

You have what's called a "staggered hatch" going on. That happens when the eggs start incubating at different times. Typically, not all the eggs will hatch, because mama will get off the nest within 24-48 hours after the first eggs hatch. She will do that because when all the eggs start incubating at the same time, anything that's going to hatch will usually do so within that time frame. Something to consider in the future, (or even with your newest broody) is to give her all the eggs you want her to hatch at once, mark them, and daily remove any additions that show up. It may be helpful to have an incubator ready in case mama does abandon the nest with viable eggs still in it. But you may end up raising those babies yourself. Broodies don't always accept new chicks once they have left the nest with their babies. If you do try to give them to her, watch to make sure she doesn't attack them, and don't be surprised if she does.

If you allow a broody to hatch eggs it's best to give them all to her at one time. Take them daily from her until you have 12-16 to put under her at once. Use a marker to identify them and take away any extras she scrounges. This way they all hatch at the same time. Otherwise she'll eventually leave the nest to bring her chicks to feed abandoning the eggs added to the clutch later.

She'll keep them warm no problem. The only thing you need to watch for is chicks not able to get in and out of the coop easily for the first week.

You have what's called a "staggered hatch" going on. That happens when the eggs start incubating at different times. Typically, not all the eggs will hatch, because mama will get off the nest within 24-48 hours after the first eggs hatch. She will do that because when all the eggs start incubating at the same time, anything that's going to hatch will usually do so within that time frame. Something to consider in the future, (or even with your newest broody) is to give her all the eggs you want her to hatch at once, mark them, and daily remove any additions that show up. It may be helpful to have an incubator ready in case mama does abandon the nest with viable eggs still in it. But you may end up raising those babies yourself. Broodies don't always accept new chicks once they have left the nest with their babies. If you do try to give them to her, watch to make sure she doesn't attack them, and don't be surprised if she does.
I’m afraid that’s what happening. She hasn’t done much sitting the last 5 hours and she isn’t being gentle around the eggs. The one that is hatching- should I do something specific? I can see it’s beak from outside. Other eggs don’t have any visible signs on hatching. The hole is about the size of a dime. I don’t have an incubator on hand. Friends all have eggs in theirs with 15-20 days to go.

I’m afraid that’s what happening. She hasn’t done much sitting the last 5 hours and she isn’t being gentle around the eggs. The one that is hatching- should I do something specific? I can see it’s beak from outside. Other eggs don’t have any visible signs on hatching. The hole is about the size of a dime. I don’t have an incubator on hand. Friends all have eggs in theirs with 15-20 days to go.
@RobinS1217 Do you have a heat lamp that you can set up a diy incubator? The pipped egg needs warmth. My gut instinct says to put the remaining eggs in a box with high sides, put a heat lamp above it and then close off the top as much as you can and try to get temp to 99.5. put all the remaining eggs in there to give them a chance. If you don't have a heat lamp maybe your friends do?

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous can you help with diy set up for eggs abandoned by broody? It's a staggered hatch.

Back
Top Bottom