THEY HAVE SHIPPED!

SMonroe1990

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
New York
Got an email about ten minutes ago saying that the six chicks I bought have shipped! I am so excited. Now for the next couple days it's going to be anxiously awaiting the phone call from the post office saying that they are there. I wish I could just raise baby chicks all year round. Not that I don't like them when they start to grow up. The five girls I currently have are a blast to watch. It's just something about having baby chicks. Maybe I should start a business. You bring me the chicks and a bag of feed, I will raise them for you until they feather out. Any ideas how many people would go for that? Anyways, anyone else order chicks this late in spring? If so what kinds did you get and where did you order them from?

I got one each of; Black Australorp, Delaware, Jersey Giant, Golden Buff, Light Brahma, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. I happened to order mine from Meyers. It took me about a week before I decided who I was ordering from. I had considered My Pet Chicken, but Meyer's shipping was a tad bit cheaper. I had also considered Ideal, but because you need a $25 dollar minimum that ruled them out. There was no way my one coop would fit the five girls I already have plus about 8 or so from Ideal. I will post pictures for everyone once they get here. I cannot wait.

Oh, this has nothing to do with the cute chicks that just shipped, but the other day I bought a bag of dried meal worms for my girls and set them on the table in my house. My mom looked at them and then looks at me and says "Did you really buy treats for the chickens?" "Why yes mom I did." She just shook her head and walked away. I'm waiting for them to become crazy chicken people too.

That is just awesome! I got my late season chicks the week of July 7th, so I guess they are about two weeks old now… I don't ever think it a bad time to have a few fuzzy things around. Your mix should be interesting to grow out and work into your flock. I buy my chickens treats as well. Some folks just don't seem to get it, but as perhaps as you noted, they will. I have a picture of my little ones from last night I'll share here with you. It might help to tide you over, until you get your own little box of chirps…

Best to you and you new birds,

RJ

My chicks shipped from Meyer today too! I also ordered 6, a Cuckoo Maran, Easter Egger, Salmon Favorelle, Black Austrolorpe, Buff Laced Polish and a surprise Meyer meal maker. These are our first chicks. I can't wait for them to get here!

Y'all are killing me...I wish I had room for more chickens! Those are some great varieties. Glad to see Meyer getting the business too. I've had very good experiences with them.

Looking forward to some photos.

Thanks for the pic RJ. Not sure how well its going to hold me over though. I was obsessing this morning over waiting for that email and my DH does nothing but laugh at me. Ooo I am kicking myself and wish I had gotten a Maran. Oh well, there is always next year. Kattington, I love the EEs. That is the breed my first five girls are. They are so friendly and I was showing a co worker the other day pictures of them and all she said was "look at the funky colors". She went with more of the "traditional" birds for her first flock. So the colors you can get with EEs are cool. Petrel, there is always room for more chickens. Just build another coop.
lau.gif
But in all seriousness, that is what I've convinced my DH to do for next year. Build me a bigger coop and then after the one I have now gets a good scrubbing, it's going to be home to turkeys that I have decided recently I want to give a try to next year and I already have my mom agreeing to section off part of a old shed we have, that is used for storage, for some meat birds. I am determined to get atleast one Speckled Sussex next year and a Maran of sorts. Not to mention I would love a frizzle chicken for a pet. There are just so many options and the personalities you get are great.

RJ, now that I have looked at the picture a couple more times, (chicks are just so cute, I can't get over it.) what breed are those?

Another coop is my plan. Unfortunately, my DW has put a moratorium on coop construction/flock expansion until I establish a solid system for tending them while we are out of town.

I can understand that. Hopefully you get something figured out. I wish I had some suggestions to send your way but unfortunately I dont.

I am excited about the EE! I tried to order chicks that will lay a variety of egg colors. They have olive eggers available in their over hatches today. I really want one! I added another 6 chicks to my cart, lol, but I can't get past the shipping cost. My plan is actually to wait and order 6 more chicks next year.

Back
Top Bottom