They made it though the night!

lnhackford

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Salt Lake City, utah
Without the heat lamp!

Okay, okay, that may not be considered a huge feat, however as a first time chick mom who likes her house to be air conditioned to the point it would make a lot of people uncomfortable, I am happy about this.

They've needed the heat lamp to keep them happy in the brooder over the last few days because it keeps them around 70 to 75 degrees, but since they will need to move to the coop soon, I figured we would start practicing with no heat. The last few days I would leave it off for a while during the day, but night time gets down to about 60-65 in my house, so they always needed it, but last night they went all day and all night without it, and are happy as can be.

This gives me more confidence to put them out in the coop once it's finished because the nights in Salt Lake City are still cooler than normal. We've had a very wet spring. Things are drying up finally.

Now I'm feeling better about my little runt silkie surviving the weather. I'm also glad to be done with that heat lamp!

They are almost 6 weeks. They are almost fully feathered except my 3 silkies (I know that silkies take a little longer)...but I have a silkie runt that is still tiny as can be. That is the one I was most worried about, but she (hopefully she anyways) did great!

Back
Top Bottom