They will Be Six Weeks old

Katz5617

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
We got our baby chicks as new hatches. We bought three that are BO's and were sexed and sold to us as females. We bought three production Reds that were straight run and it seems we have two boys that we will have to re-home - that said we built them their own coop and run and they are separate from the three hens and two pullets we have. At two weeks old we put them in their new home but added a heating lamp to keep them nice and toasty. Our days have been really mild and so have most nights - during the day we let them out into the run and they love it. They are growing like weeds. It's hard to believe just how fast they are growing. We got our three hens when they were just a couple of weeks old and did them much the same way. Even at that young age as the sun began to set our hens when they were babies they would go up the ramp and into their coop. All we had to do was go out and close the door. They did it every night. With these new little chicks - they will be six weeks this week and they have a ramp. We put them in their coop each night - but they show no desire to go into the coop on their own. Each night we have to go out and catch them one by one and place them inside. We put food and water in there for the night as well - but they just won't go in on their own. Is there something we can do to encourage them to go in without us having to go catch them and put them up. They go to the back corner up under the coop and it's not all that easy for us to crawl under there to reach them. I'm pretty sure they could stand the temps now as they have a nice covering of feathers and the weather is mild, but we do have possums and armadillos and have had rats. I'm afraid if we leave them out something will get them. The dog is pretty good about catching any varmits that enter the yard, but the dog could also be a problem if we left them out. the first couple of weeks he tried to dig under as well - but lately he tends to ignore them unless they get really loud - but still I wouldn't want them out all night since he is nocturnal - he's a Pyrenees and is up most of the night on guard. Shouldn't they be going into the coop on their own by now and how can we encourage them to do so.

It can take chicks awhile to figure this stuff out. My first question is what is the ramp like? Maybe it's too steep? Or is it a ladder? Ladders can be harder to get them to use. When I trained mine, I took them one buy one and set them just outside the door. Then the next night I set them a little further down the ramp, and so on. By about night four they were catching on. took them a few more nights to not pile up in the door and block it before everyone got in, so I'd have to push them aside and let the rest in.

It's a wide ramp on a gradual incline and my husband nailed strips across the ramp every six or so inches so they wouldn't slide down or have trouble getting up. It's very gradual - it goes almost from the coop nearly across the run. One went up it the other day during the day and we thought maybe they had it figured out - but that evening - none even attempted to go in.

Back
Top Bottom