They won't use the outdoor perch.

Kitchenella

Songster
14 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Oak Park, Michigan
I made a nice outdoor perch out of a big branch a few weeks ago. It is under the coop where there is some shade. So far they have totally ignored it.

Today I decided to keep the coop closed. I have one broody hen who has been sitting on an empty nest for 2 weeks. I figured if I just leave them all in the run for a few days it might break her broody streak. The other two have been spending most of the time in the coop with her even though the weather is nice.

Tonight I went out to see where they all settled down and they are piled together on the ground under the new perch. I tried moving them to the perch but they wouldn't grab it.

I'm wondering if it is because it is not totally stationary. One end is fastened to the fence but the other end is hung from the coop so it wiggles a bit.

It is a round perch and the perch inside the coop is flat.

Advice?

Peggy

HM?....Maybe it has to be more secure? Like you said....or lower to the ground....until they figure it out maybe try putting a couple branches up like stairs....also check to see how big the branch is....try a flat one.....Hope i helped....stay cool !!!

Ig that doesnt work ....Try putting it as low as it goes and then each day raising it ...so they dont know it and before you know it they'll be thinking ?Hey How did we get up so high?"....hee hee hee....

In addition, most chickens prefer at least 4" of width, flat is better...
lol.png

Also, be sure not to use a toxic wood, like hemlock or black willow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom