Thin Egg Shells

lsufran

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2016
My Rhode Island Red egg shells are so soft they break before I get them out of the coop. I feed them Purina Organic Layer, provide oyster shell and give them mealworms. Any suggestions?

My Rhode Island Red egg shells are so soft they break before I get them out of the coop. I feed them Purina Organic Layer, provide oyster shell and give them mealworms. Any suggestions?
Are they eating the OS?
I would not mix it into the feed.
Tho if they are not consuming the OS, you might sprinkle a tiny bit on top of feed, or better yet, sprinkle some out in the run.
How old are these birds?
Is it only the RIR or do you have other birds that are laying 'good' eggs?

Are they eating the OS?
I would not mix it into the feed.
Tho if they are not consuming the OS, you might sprinkle a tiny bit on top of feed, or better yet, sprinkle some out in the run.
How old are these birds?
Is it only the RIR or do you have other birds that are laying 'good' eggs?
Just the Rhode Island Reds. The other hens lay blue eggs and their shells are hard. They are about 4 years old.

Yes, try scattering some oyster shell around on the ground of on the litter. Try moving the oyster shell feeder to a prime location, like next to the door to outside.
How many mealworms? Are some of them pigging out on these treats?
Four year old high egg producing hens are getting old, and they may be having issues, although generally this won't happen to a group all at one time.
Mites or lice? Have fecals checked at the veterinarian's?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom