thin fragile egg shells???

I've had soft/thin shell problems too sometimes and eggs broken in the nests. I feed "premium" quality layer food and they always have oyster shells available but it seems like they don't eat it much. I also give them yogurt and cottage cheese and still problems. I finally found something that works and all the chicken's eggs are really good now. Found it at Meyer Hatchery....BVS Vitamin D3. It is a highly concentrated liquid and I just put literally just a few eye dropper drops in a gallon of water. They drink their water so they're finally getting the calcium they need.

Quote:
I am so glad somebody found something that works.
wee.gif

I am so sick of the soft-shelled problems that I have been having lately, and nothing that I have researched and tried has had any effect. Snowflake had me worried for awhile because I have been feeding my girls the Layena too. I can't believe so many people have been having the exact same problem lately. What is up with that?
barnie.gif

Thank you so much, Betsy57!!!!
clap.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome! I love this forum, I have been helped so much in the past through it. Glad I was finally able to help someone!
lol.png

Quote:
That is what I feed my chickens....Purina Layena....and evidently it doesn't have enough calcium in it. Been thinking of switching to Nutrena's new premium feed but the liquid calcium I am adding to their water is working. Wonder if Purina is having production quality problems?

I just checked on TSC's website & the Layena does have a lower calcium content than Du-Mor.
barnie.gif

Purina® Layena® SunFresh® Recipe Poultry Feed:
Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein (min.) 16.00%, Fat (min.) 2.50%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) 3.25%, Lysine (min.) 0.55%, Methionine (min.) 0.25%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 4.25%, Fiber (max.) 7.00%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) 0.50%, Vitamin A 3,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E 10.50 IU/lb .

DuMOR® Poultry Layer Feed:
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 16.00%, Lysine (min.) .70%, Methionine (min.) .35%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50%, Crude Fiber (max.) 7.00%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) 3.80%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 4.80%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .50%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

I am happy to report that since I started giving my chickens veges that were higher in calcium (spinach, cabbage, etc) I have not had a single broken egg! So whoever that girl is that will not eat oyster shell she must love her veges! lol
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
wee.gif

I am so sick of the soft-shelled problems that I have been having lately, and nothing that I have researched and tried has had any effect. Snowflake had me worried for awhile because I have been feeding my girls the Layena too. I can't believe so many people have been having the exact same problem lately. What is up with that?
barnie.gif

clap.gif

Yay! I think I might try buying some of this to try in my hens water. I do feed my girls layena (which I will not be buying again because of such a low content of calcium!). I was going to buy some oyster shell, but as I have seen on here, not many of the hens eat it. Thanks everyone! Also is there a possibility that the hens can have too much calcium in their system??Just curious...

According to The Chicken Health Handbook, I see nothing about an excess of calcium.
An excess of vit. D will cause calcium pimples on the shells.

Quote:
wee.gif

barnie.gif

clap.gif

Yay! I think I might try buying some of this to try in my hens water. I do feed my girls layena (which I will not be buying again because of such a low content of calcium!). I was going to buy some oyster shell, but as I have seen on here, not many of the hens eat it. Thanks everyone! Also is there a possibility that the hens can have too much calcium in their system??Just curious...

You can tell if they're getting too much calcium because the shells will be too hard and they do get "pimples" or little bumps on the eggs so I imagine like everything, too much of a good thing may not be good. You just have to experiment with how much you put in. It is VERY concentrated so like I said earlier, I use an eye dropper and put in about one dropper per gallon of water and that seems to be just perfect.

I too am a Christian and thank God for allowing me this chance to have chickens and enjoy them so much. Have 16 more babies coming hopefully tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom