Thin shell/no laying

mamatoes

Songster
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Ontario
I’m pretty sure I may know the answer but I want to see if I’m missing anything.

my birds free range and I haven’t been getting a lot of eggs. Maybe 1 a day and I have 5 hens currently laying. So I locked them up to see if they’re just being sneaky. Still only 2 eggs...

They’re all on chick starter because we had a lot of babies hatch so I have oyster shells at free Choice for the hens. But still we’re getting really thing shelled eggs and only 1-2.
Is it the lack of layer food? Can I switch to layer now? My littlest chicks are like a month old. But my mama hens are hurting obviously! Help!

they need Vitamin D to metabolise calcium, so it could be insufficient amounts of that in their current diet. Either give a calcium tablet that includes vit D to any hen you are sure is laying thin-shelled eggs and see if that fixes the issue (it should only take a couple of days to see the difference), or add some cod liver oil to the feed (it won't hurt anyone and will supply vit d [and other goodies] to those that need it).
Can I switch to layer now?
I wouldn't. You shouldn't give layer feed to chicks, or indeed to any bird not laying; excess calcium can damage their systems.

I’m pretty sure I may know the answer but I want to see if I’m missing anything.

my birds free range and I haven’t been getting a lot of eggs. Maybe 1 a day and I have 5 hens currently laying. So I locked them up to see if they’re just being sneaky. Still only 2 eggs...

They’re all on chick starter because we had a lot of babies hatch so I have oyster shells at free Choice for the hens. But still we’re getting really thing shelled eggs and only 1-2.
Is it the lack of layer food? Can I switch to layer now? My littlest chicks are like a month old. But my mama hens are hurting obviously! Help!
Have you seen them eat the oyster shell? If they’re not eating it, it could be a lack of calcium

Back
Top Bottom