Thin thin thin shells.

TUMS are great to have on hand for an "emergency" like that. I have used it in the same manner. I believe it's absorbed fairly quickly. The calcium helps with contractions which in turn helps push out a soft shell egg or even helps with retention when there is a prolapse.

The Caltrate also has D3 which helps with absorption of Calcium which would be important in this particular circumstance where the hen is laying very thin shells consistently. It's worth a try to see if extra Calcium makes a difference, it may not, for instance if there is a shell gland defect, likely there will be no difference.
:goodpost: Let’s hope it’s not a sign of a greater problem. I work on such a small scale I tend to go with household items. I personally take a D3 supplement since I had back surgery (for bone growth & support of healing). I’ll try to remember to add the D if I come across this problem. I would be extremely saddened if I had a chronic soft shelled layer. Supportive care can only do so much. Thanks so much. I learn everyday! :D

:goodpost: Let’s hope it’s not a sign of a greater problem. I work on such a small scale I tend to go with household items. I personally take a D3 supplement since I had back surgery (for bone growth & support of healing). I’ll try to remember to add the D if I come across this problem. I would be extremely saddened if I had a chronic soft shelled layer. Supportive care can only do so much. Thanks so much. I learn everyday! :D
I'm a fan of using household items too!
For your "emergency" situations the TUMS is good.
Since this is "therapy" to see if there's improvement and the problem seems chronic, then Calcium with D3. And yes, that's why I put a limit of 5-7 days. Too much Calcium (excess) can be damaging. Everything in moderation:)

Let's be honest, most conditions that laying hens have as they get older, supportive care is usually the best we can do. It's frustrating, but a lot of times we can pet them along for a while, but ultimately if there is something going on with them, their time is coming.
Those are usually the ones I end up getting attached to as well, but it's still worth it.

I cut out all treats just to hopefully get them "re-centered."
I was going to wait for a little while before giving them some tums or caltrate.

How many days roughly could it take for them to get their nutrition right where they are back to laying normally without some "calcium intervention?" Are we talking a few days, a month etc.

It could be a few days if they are only eating layer feed with some oyster shell available in a separate container.

That is discounting the possibility that there is a problem in the oviduct.

IMHO, any time there is a shell quality problem, the first course of action is to go back to basics. Cut out anything but a nutritionally balanced layer feed.

Last edited:
It could be a few days if they are only eating layer feed with some oyster shell available in a separate container.

That is discounting the possibility that there is a problem in the oviduct.

IMHO, any time there is a shell quality problem, the first course of action is to go back to basics. Cut out anything but a nutritionally balanced layer feed.
Ok cool. Thats what I did. Back to just layer feed and still have access to the calcium.

Update, havent seen any thin shells since stopping treats altogether. Yesterday was the first day back to 2 eggs. 1 was dark brown and thick shelled and the other 1 was between the thick one and the thin ones that I was getting. So maybe she is coming out of the thin shelled situation.

Update, havent seen any thin shells since stopping treats altogether. Yesterday was the first day back to 2 eggs. 1 was dark brown and thick shelled and the other 1 was between the thick one and the thin ones that I was getting. So maybe she is coming out of the thin shelled situation.
:thumbsup Good news!

Very good to hear. Thanks for reporting back. Please continue to update us.
Feeding kitchen scraps to chickens is a valuable use of something that would normally go to waste.
It is necessary to use judgment though. Too many scraps for too few chickens can cause problems.
But if chickens are provided a nutritionally complete chicken feed, there is no reason to treat for treat's sake. As you've discovered, that can cause problems too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom