Things that only happen in the country or to chicken owners

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I am trying to get all of the chores done before I go to work, so I go add water to the waterer, I grab what eggs are in the coop. I stop to tie my shoe. I bend down to tie and CRUNCH....oooze.... egg in pocket went smoosh and is now running down my leg.

Coat is toast.
Pants are dripping.
Eggs are scrambled

and I am now most definitely late.
roll.png

So tell me, things that can only happen in the country?

Actually, your name says it all for me. "I have WHAT in my yard?" We are not originally country folks. Both my wife and I worked in a very large city and it was not until fairly recently that we moved to a country area and bought a house in the middle of a 100 or so wooded acres. We have a game camera set up in the back of our property where there is a game path and every time we look at the pictures it is with awe, amazement and thanks that we say "We have WHAT in our yard?" We have seen pictures of brown bears, one of whom likesw to walk right up to the camera and lick it. Too many bobcat to even mention. Feral pigs, possum, fox, deer and we get all of these animals without ever setting out anything for them to eat AND we have never had one get our chickens. Now we have set up our coop and run so it is very predator proof and we really love having the animals around and have never even thought about shooting or trapping any of them with the exception of the raccoons.

You call in late to work because you were on your way there and there was a pony wandering down the road at 6 am and animal control didn't have a halter...so you had to go home and get yours...and take the pony home, walking it out the window of your car...because animal control didn't have ANYTHING they could use to help.

Driving your school bus and over the radio you hear 12 to 35 35 here 12 says watch for the horses....cows...dogs...chickens ( you get the piont) on the road be carefull
And I drive in Branson Missouri LOL
I never heard that stuff in St. Louis

Quote:
ha!

a couple of months ago my hubby stopped to help out an officer because there were a pair of very friendly mares loose on the highway - he didn't have a halter, but he managed to use some construction weight extension cords to make impromptu halters and easily rounded them up. he had to stay and hold them while they waited for someone to come with a trailer, because the officer on site was holding them at gunpoint...

not kidding - the officer had drawn down on them... poor curious mares were probably just wondering if he had carrots...
roll.png

good thing my hubby was there, or he might have shot them because they refused to put their hooves up.

ok, we're from the country, but clearly this officer was an import.
lol.png

I get to work and when I take off my jacket to hang it, it seems a little heavy. I realize that this is what's still in my jacket pockets:
a wad of bailing twine
the paper zip strip and string from the feed bag
a horse cookie treat
a wad of bailing wire
some stray corn chops
a handful of stuffing from one of the dog beds the pups evicerated last week
some hay
a few oats
a garden hose washer
two self tapping screws
a pair of fence pliers
and a guinea egg

fortunately, the guinea egg and the fence pliers were *not* in the same pocket.
That'll teach me to leave for work directly from the barn...

I had to call into work late one day because our neighbor's horse got out again. I had at that point just started keeping a halter in my car. I would just leave a note about the goats though. I never had the time or inclination for that chase. Now I live in a downtown area and I constantly have some stupid story about my chickens that results in people making sure that I still live downtown.

Or you can't take people in your vehicle because it contains:

entire backseat has old blanket covered with hair from stock dogs
fresh fleece from sheep
pair of mud encrusted Muck boots
sacks of stuff like poultry grit, oyster shell, etc.
hay and straw shreds everywhere

And other random evidence of country living.
smile.png

Robin

Back
Top Bottom