Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

You just dip their little beak in the water. You can give them sugar water on their first day. They should start drinking on their own right away after you dipped them. Wait till they have all had a good drink before offering food, that helps to avoid pasting up. Have them on paper towels and sprinkle the feed on it. They like pecking at little spots and it is easier for them to start eating that way. Add a feeder once they've all gotten to eat a bit...
Thank you very much! I can't wait. :)

Thank you sooo much for the advice, information and links! "Don't over think it" is great advice because that's exactly what I'll do in this type of situation. Thanks so much! One last question: Any advice about the best way to get them started drinking when they first arrive? Thanks!

I love the idea of using the MHP, and blocking off a portion of the run for them, but I'm wondering if that will be ok when it rains...? The coop is raised up 2 1/2 feet or so. There is run space underneath the coop. Also, part of the run will have a roof and part will be open. I can put them in an area that has a roof, but wonder about wind blowing the rain in from the sides... I'm mainly worried about the electrical aspect of the MHP being ok in the rain. (There are no other chickens in the coop or run. This will be my first batch.)
Thanks for any input!
smile.png

I

I think I probably would have gotten four and then planned on adding another group of three after a year or two. Either way is fun though!
1f600.png
clap.gif
I started with 9 day old chicks, lost a few to predators, started adding in February by incubating eggs, as well as purchasing chicks to replace some that were taken by predators, and tonight there are 19 birds in the coop. The last 4 are about 6 weeks old, and they went into the coop last night!

I may have to stop for a bit, but I did sell some chicks this spring and am thinking about continuing to do that next year.

Have fun with your babies!

I padlock the hatch door (that bridges outside run with the indoor coop) with a lock at night after the girls go in. This is in addition to the automated coop door closer (powered by solar panel). Taking NO chances with my girls safety.

I love the idea of using the MHP, and blocking off a portion of the run for them, but I'm wondering if that will be ok when it rains...? The coop is raised up 2 1/2 feet or so. There is run space underneath the coop. Also, part of the run will have a roof and part will be open. I can put them in an area that has a roof, but wonder about wind blowing the rain in from the sides... I'm mainly worried about the electrical aspect of the MHP being ok in the rain. (There are no other chickens in the coop or run. This will be my first batch.)
Thanks for any input!
smile.png
If your run isn't covered in some way, don't brood them in it. MHP works very well, but it doesn't stop drafts, the chicks getting wet, and like any electrical appliance you need to protect it from moisture. Granted, the pad itself is washable, but that's just the pad part - not the cord and it certainly can't get wet while it's in use. Since you have no other chickens in the coop, why not brood them in there? The only reason I use my run instead of the coop is because the brooder pen that I use is so big - it would compromise the coop space I have for my other chickens - and my run is bigger. I brood early in the year, so my run is still covered in the plastic I use to protect my birds in the winter, so I don't have moisture issues to worry about.

If your run isn't covered in some way, don't brood them in it.  MHP works very well, but it doesn't stop drafts, the chicks getting wet, and like any electrical appliance you need to protect it from moisture.  Granted, the pad itself is washable, but that's just the pad part - not the cord and it certainly can't get wet while it's in use.  Since you have no other chickens in the coop, why not brood them in there?  The only reason I use my run instead of the coop is because the brooder pen that I use is so big - it would compromise the coop space I have for my other chickens - and my run is bigger.  I brood early in the year, so my run is still covered in the plastic I use to protect my birds in the winter, so I don't have moisture issues to worry about.
Thank you Blooie! That all makes a lot of sense. My coop and run will be of a similar style as the one in the picture. It'll have a small window but overall it seems kind of dark and isolated for brooding. Maybe I should go back a few steps and come up with another plan. I have a screened in back porch. I could build a brooder or possibly use a small dollhouse coop that was given to me, out on the porch. The porch might be my best option. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you Blooie! That all makes a lot of sense. My coop and run will be of a similar style as the one in the picture. It'll have a small window but overall it seems kind of dark and isolated for brooding. Maybe I should go back a few steps and come up with another plan. I have a screened in back porch. I could build a brooder or possibly use a small dollhouse coop that was given to me, out on the porch. The porch might be my best option. Thanks for the advice!
Any way you can get extra window space in your coop? I forget if you are using a pre-fab, building yourself, or having it built? Windows can often be picked up FREE if you happen to be at the right place at the right time. Or inexpensive used. When I was building, I stopped at my local Habitat For Humanity Re-store OFTEN!. Picked up some wonderful building materials for coop, tractor, green house, and garden. My big coop (10 x 12) is accessorized with 3 24 x 36 thermopane windows, and the people door also has full size thermopane. The flock fights over who gets to sleep near the window! All of these are in beautiful shape, and came from my town dump. On any Saturday, I could go to the dump and find plenty of windows/doors to build yet an other coop! LOTS of light! Also, 2 louvered vents at gable ends, soffit vents, and I just installed an 18 x 24 louvered vent down low to provide an updraft.

Last edited:
Any way you can get extra window space in your coop?  I forget if you are using a pre-fab, building yourself, or having it built?  Windows can often be picked up FREE if you happen to be at the right place at the right time.  Or inexpensive used.  When I was building, I stopped at my local Habitat For Humanity Re-store OFTEN!.  Picked up some wonderful building materials for coop, tractor, green house, and garden.  My big coop (10 x 12) is accessorized with 3 24 x 36 thermopane windows, and the people door also has full size thermopane.  The flock fights over who gets to sleep near the window!  All of these are in beautiful shape, and came from my town dump.  On any Saturday, I could go to the dump and find plenty of windows/doors to build yet an other coop!  LOTS of light!  Also, 2 louvered vents at gable ends, soffit vents, and I just installed an 18 x 24 louvered vent down low to provide an updraft.  
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm having the coop built because I'm not the slightest bit handy, unfortunately, and my backyard has a significant slope so the site work will be too intensive for me also. I'll check into having another window or two built in though because I think it would be nice too. One positive is that I live in the Atlanta area, where the weather doesn't get very severe either way. The worst we'll get is a passing thunderstorm. I'm also hoping they can free range for a portion of the day quite frequently. My yard is large and has many areas thick with azaleas and other shrubs and trees, so hopefully they won't be spending much extra time in the coop. That being said though, I agree with you that more window space would make it more pleasant for them and I'll check into that! Thanks for the advice! :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm having the coop built because I'm not the slightest bit handy, unfortunately, and my backyard has a significant slope so the site work will be too intensive for me also. I'll check into having another window or two built in though because I think it would be nice too. One positive is that I live in the Atlanta area, where the weather doesn't get very severe either way. The worst we'll get is a passing thunderstorm. I'm also hoping they can free range for a portion of the day quite frequently. My yard is large and has many areas thick with azaleas and other shrubs and trees, so hopefully they won't be spending much extra time in the coop. That being said though, I agree with you that more window space would make it more pleasant for them and I'll check into that! Thanks for the advice! :)
The more heat you have, the more important ventilation would be, IMO. Also, You will want to have a nice big roof overhang to provide shade. Were you planning 5 x 5 for your coop size? Does space availability demand that size? Unless you builder is using scrap material from an other job, or has a plan to use the extra material from the cuts, that is going to be quite wasteful of material, thus increasing your overall cost. You might want to ask him to look at the site, and throw out HIS idea of size and shape to make best use of materials, and give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of size. Also, if you are planning to use second hand materials (windows and doors) you'll want to have those available before he even gets to the framing point. So easy to frame a wall when you know what size the windows are, and where you want to have them put. Much more expensive to say, I'm going to use a window that's such and such a size, frame it up, and then buy the window to fit.

The more heat you have, the more important ventilation would be, IMO.  Also, You will want to have a nice big roof overhang to provide shade.  Were you planning 5 x 5 for your coop size?  Does space availability demand that size?  Unless you builder is using scrap material from an other job, or has a plan to use the extra material from the cuts, that is going to be quite wasteful of material, thus increasing your overall cost.  You might want to ask him to look at the site, and throw out HIS idea of size and shape to make best use of materials, and give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of size.  Also, if you are planning to use second hand materials (windows and doors) you'll want to have those available before he even gets to the framing point.  So easy to frame a wall when you know what size the windows are, and where you want to have them put.  Much more expensive to say, I'm going to use a window that's such and such a size, frame it up, and then buy the window to fit.
I will check that out. The coop is 5x6 because that's what fits best in the spot. I know the builder is using cedar for the body of the coop, I'm not sure about the framing for the roof. The roof itself is metal and has a decent overhang. The entire coop will be under natural shade almost all day. I'll have to check into those window options. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom