Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

If you are going to "give chickens a try" and have the space. Build a small building (8'x8' is my fav size) and plan to use it for a garden shed or something, if chickens do not workout. Also keep everything "petting zoo" clean, just in case you need to use that building for a storage shed. Soon you will have an overall euphoric addiction that can be shared but not explained to, of all things, a chicken....a low on the food chain...sometimes smelly....worm eating chicken. You will love everyone and have dreams of free range commercial expansion.......oh I am drifting off topic and digress. "Petting Zoo" clean is a big one. I set my coop in a low point thinking litter will build up and fill it in. I built on skids so I could move or raise it. While pretitor proofing and a garden slowly sliding into the coop over numerous years has caused issues. You crack that deep litter open layer by layer and it is enough to gag a maggot! Leave it alone and all is good expect when it rains a lot. So here I am selling eggs and just getting into hatching, people stopping by to pick up eggs...soon chicks, birds, hatching eggs and some know nothing of keeping birds or deep litter. They do know what a typical very well kept clean animal pen looks like.

2. Do not over research. Problem solving is my favorite part and if you are ever panicked, toldly lost research your answer here on BYC, very quickly you will find your answer. If you require interaction with the rest of the world, are bored or need a warm hug post a question and hang on to your pitch fork because it will come layer by layer by layer;)

$300.00

Are you sure it's BIG enough, ha ha.....Hubby made me a 8 x 12 x 7 Run/Coop, I had 2 RIR & 2 EE were the first boarders. Now I want to get 2 Orpingtons, 2 BLRW & 2 AM but thinking it maybe too small :( The 4 fit "perfect" but thinking the Orpingtons will probably be "crowded" so canceled the 1 AM & 1 Orp ... Living in Hawaii don't need to worry too much about insulation but get a lot of rain & heat, hence my open Run/Coop. They roost above the dog house (nest box) & they free range in my fenced yard in the afternoons when I'm home. Told him may need to "add on"...

Thanks for saving me all that typing you told my story. 3 yrs ago 64sqft coop with 200sqft run raised 1 batch of 24 Cornish cross...2 yrs ago 33 Cornish cross, 1 yr ago 15 Ladies listed below coop upgrades for eggs and winter. Since March hatched 14 quail, 45 quail eggs getting set tonight! Ordered the Spring Pups below from my trusted hatchery, but yet I am strongly considering closing my flock and only hatching my own now. Cleaned deep litter out of coop because I have to many chickens now and it doesn't crust over as well. Built an outdoor urban style coop/brooder. Built a 12' radius steel frame 200 sqft run that still needs wire. Worked on quail cages because it was raining today, built lots of feeders and waters, introduction pens, brooders. I plan to build another 125 sqft run between the old one and one that needs wire for the urban coop/brooder. I ordered 2 of the sheds pictured above just now. One for a grower coop, for the run that needs wire and one for the quail cages with leftover room being an open grower pen. Both will need venting and floors built plus assembly....so the chicken math and quail multiplication. I have 39 chickens and 14 quail. Before the next 40 quail eggs hatch in 17 days I will have approximately 270 sqft of coop space, 525 sqft of run and 60 sqft of quail cages and as many birds as I can hatch as soon as the young roo matures and the quail start laying......leg bands!!! Have to go need to research leg bands never used them before and soon I am going to forget who is who.....little busy later BYC.
lau.gif
They say that chickens are like potato chips!

I wish I had known that the little pin feathers growing in were painful. I always noticed the chicks scream when you pet where they have feathers coming in. So I was suspicious that that may be the case. Now that I know, I will be more careful not to make them uncomfortable during those time. The point of my handling them is for socialization. That won't wok if they feel discomfort (pain) when I touch them.

I wish I had known that the little pin feathers growing in were painful. I always noticed the chicks scream when you pet where they have feathers coming in. So I was suspicious that that may be the case. Now that I know, I will be more careful not to make them uncomfortable during those time. The point of my handling them is for socialization. That won't wok if they feel discomfort (pain) when I touch them.

I agree, when they are molting, their feather growth is painful, so handling as little as possible is a good thing during a molt.

Also, sometimes it's good to just jump right in and immerse yourself!

Are you sure it's BIG enough, ha ha.....Hubby made me a 8 x 12 x 7 Run/Coop, I had 2 RIR & 2 EE were the first boarders. Now I want to get 2 Orpingtons, 2 BLRW & 2 AM but thinking it maybe too small :( The 4 fit "perfect" but thinking the Orpingtons will probably be "crowded" so canceled the 1 AM & 1 Orp ... Living in Hawaii don't need to worry too much about insulation but get a lot of rain & heat, hence my open Run/Coop. They roost above the dog house (nest box) & they free range in my fenced yard in the afternoons when I'm home. Told him may need to "add on"...

Back
Top Bottom