Thinking about adding a couple ducks to my chicken flock..

stephensc7146

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Southeastern, Ohio
So the idea has just popped into my head.. I think I may want to get 2 or 3 ducks to add to my flock of chickens as a birthday present to my best friend. Lots of questions go along with that also. Before I get too excited with this idea, I would love all you proud duck owners to help me out a bit.
smile.png

Question 1 is the biggest and most important -
Can chickens and ducks live together and share a coop in harmony?

Q2 - Are their any coop differences that will need to be made for ducks?

Q3 - Will they be okay together in a (pretty decent sized) fenced in run?

Q4 - I know ducks require water, and i've heard kiddie pools work just fine, but that is the extent of what I know.. Why is water such an important role in a ducks life

Q5 - Are ducks aggressive when raised from birth? (I like being able to socialize with my hens, so I don't want to be chased around by a mean ol duck while trying to do so)

Q6 - Any differences in brooding chicks and ducks? Possible to do both together in same brooding area? differences in food, temp, getting along, etc?

Q7 - ANY other duck/chicken related info I should know?

Thanks in advance!

So the idea has just popped into my head.. I think I may want to get 2 or 3 ducks to add to my flock of chickens as a birthday present to my best friend. Lots of questions go along with that also. Before I get too excited with this idea, I would love all you proud duck owners to help me out a bit.
smile.png

They can with several big IFs.
If there are no drakes (drakes will try to mate with chickens and could kill them)
The particular chickens and ducks are willing
The way ducks relate to water must be accommodated, and chickens will likely need their own source of water the ducks cannot mess with
Ducks don't roost, so they will need to be protected from chicken poop in the shelter

See above

Those who have both often let them together in the run

Q4 - I know ducks require water, and i've heard kiddie pools work just fine, but that is the extent of what I know.. Why is water such an important role in a ducks life
It's just how they are - they are waterfowl so they are hardwired to have a special relationship and dependence upon water. They need it to be able to avoid choking on food, to wash their heads and avoid infection, and to stay healthy.

Q5 - Are ducks aggressive when raised from birth? (I like being able to socialize with my hens, so I don't want to be chased around by a mean ol duck while trying to do so)
Raised properly, most ducks are the sweetest birds.

Q6 - Any differences in brooding chicks and ducks? Possible to do both together in same brooding area? differences in food, temp, getting along, etc?
Ducklings grow much more quickly than do chicks, so brooding together is tough at best - it's risky for the little chicks. Then there's the water . . .

Take a look at Marty1876's recent article about avian influenza in mixed flocks.

Thanks in advance!

Hi. This is what we did and have found out for ourselves, it worked for us. I am sure someone will be able to add more info.
1- I have 2 muscovies and 2 chickens that share a small house but the other 5 chickens and 4 ducks live in separate houses. We are building a new larger main coop and I plan to try and house them all together.
2- Most duck breeds like to nest on the floor, muscovies like to perch like chickens though. So you will need to have an area where the ducks can nest without being under the chickens (you don't want droppings landing on them).
3-Ours (a total of 7 chickens and 6 ducks) live in a large run together. They all eat out of the same bowls and the chickens are constantly drinking out of the ducks water tubs. It will take time but they should live together happily.
4-They need to dunk their heads in the water to moisten their eyes, mouths, and nasal areas. They also use it to eat. They will scoop up some food and use water to help move it down their throats. We have a large kiddie pool, a large cement mixing tub, and several shallow rubbermaid type containers scattered around for them. When brooding them put a container in with them so they can dunk their heads but not large enough to actually get into or you will have a big mess.
5-This may depend on the breed. I think males can become a little more aggressive during mating season (we only have girls). But typically when they are raised from ducklings they will be used to you and will accept your touch. Our pekin and rouens will come up to us if we have treats and take them out of our hands, the muscovies (which we did not get as ducklings) are coming around and will come close but do not like to be touched.
6-Can't offer any advice here as I haven't brooded them together. Although we brooded them pretty much the same. If you allow the ducklings to swim in the tub or what not you have to be sure they dry off. They are easily chilled when wet, which is not good. Also keep the bedding clean and dry, moisture is not good for them it can cause respiratory problems. As far as food/supplements they need niacin so you may need to add this to their feed. We fed all of ours non-medicated chick starter. The whole flock now eats a general flock raiser formulated for ducks and chickens.
7-Ducks are like little piggies, they LOVE to play in the mud and dig mud holes. They are a delight to watch. They are great at watching the sky and will alert if there is a hawk around. Any time I see an eye to the sky I know there is something there. Ours also alert if someone comes in the yard or if an animal is in our neighbors yard that does not belong. If you have raised chicks before you know what a mess they can make, well multiply that mess by 100. That is how messy ducks can be. They poop a lot!! I mean A LOT and it can be projectile with some serious power behind it.

If you decide to get them you will thoroughly love them. They are a hoot to watch and interact with.

I'm glad that both of your answers are helping me lean toward buying them! :) I have a nice size shed that I am still figuring out how to set up before I buy the materials to start building the inside so I still have time to make the duck accommodations.
smile.png

smile.png

Possibly. Each bird is an individual. Mine used to but I wanted more room for more birds so I seperated them and the geese I had at the time were going up to the chickens at night and plucking them. I think it may work better if you have a non-roosting breed of duck. That way they aren't competing for roost space. One of my chickens still sometimes sleeps with the ducks (she's been getting too much attention from the roo)
Ducks, except Muscovy, don't roost so they don't need as elaborate as a coop. Breed will factor into specifics but basically a secure coop about 3' high would work as a minimum. Total space depends on how many you want. Ducks poop alot and it is more watery so an easy access to clean coop is a big ++++.
Possibly. Again it depends. You will need to be much more aware of water as the ducks will make a muddy mess of any they find. Mine weren't raised together and will tolerate each other. My drake will grab a hen's tail feathers if she is wherever he thinks she shouldn't be. The chickens will peck (not badly, just a move type peck) at the ducklings when they are at the food etc.
Kiddie pools are fine. They bathe and preen in them. They also need water to swallow their feed and water to rinse their eyes and nares. I use buckets for waterers.
Again, each is an individual. Drakes can be aggressive but alot of that is hormones or inappropriate interaction when they are young. A duck is a duck, not a dog and alot of people run into problems with single birds that they have raised to not be aware they are a duck. I've never had an aggressive drake but I am top duck and top chicken. ;)
Difference in length and humidity and ducks brood on the floor. One thing you need to watch out for is chickens can peck setting ducks (or other chickens) which can do a lot of damage. As with any, you may need to seperate broodies and/or babies. Ducklings can eat chick starter. Be prepared for any possibility. A duck may not be a good mother and you may need to remove her ducklings. Other ducks, drakes or chickens may attach ducklings (or chicks). Always have a back up plan.
You need to be careful if you get a drake as drakes will try to breed chickens if they don't have enough ducks (sometimes if they do) and this is dangerous/deadly for the chicken. Research, research, research. Have everything on hand for most any possibility. Ducks are great and if/when you get them just remember, they won't be in the brooder forever and the smell will go away. :D
Thanks in advance!

smile.png

My ducks and chickens share a yard together during the day, but sleep in different quarters. The ducks and chickens really do not like either tho and are always fighting.
I have one corner of my building sectioned off for the ducks to sleep and lay eggs. It looks like a big stall.
They will be okay together, but if you have ducks in a fenced in yard and you have water...that = lots and lots of mud!
My ducks have a kiddie pool and are just fine. I would love to have a pond someday, that that isn't a must to keep ducks. Ducks (and all waterfowl) need water to bath in to keep their feathers clean and in good condition. Ducks need water deep enough so they can 'blow their nose' in the water. They always have their bills in the mud dabbling around looking for good things to eat. They are extremely messy eaters and get food and who knows what all over their face so they need to be able to wash their face off. Ducks need/drink a lot more water than chickens.
None of my ducks are aggressive towards me. I do not stand for that type of behavior. Like I said my ducks do not really enjoy the chickens company, but they usually get along okay. My ducks love attention, they follow me around wanting treats. I like my ducks more than chickens.
If you think chicks are messy to brood..wait until you brood ducklings! I raise my ducklings in a 3' x 6' 'hutch' off the ground. I have feed sacks on the bottom, layered with lots of shavings. I have their water on a baking pan with a rack on top, so most of the water drops down to the bottom. The back half of their brooder stays nice and dry, but there are always wet shavings around their water. Overall, ducklings are any harder than chicks to brood.

Thanks in advance!
~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom