Thinking about getting a food dehydrator

I built my dehydrator by using a wooden electronics cabinet. I covered the cord holes, added a computer fan, 200 watt light in a ceramic fixture and then put a thin door on it. It holds a temp of about 100 degrees so it takes a little longer drying time for most things. Since I am in AZ where the humidity is usually below 20% things dry just fine with my set up. I dry sliced potatoes, mashed potatoes, celery, carrots, squash, tomatoes, broccoli, apples, pineapple, orange and lemon peels, strawberries and sprouted grain. I am putting in a garden this summer and plan to dry lots of the fruits of my labor. I like to can but space is an issue so drying is a good option. I bought a 10lb bag of potatoes and dried them in slices. From 10 lbs. I got 2/3 of a gallon of potatoes ready for cooking. I really like it since they will store well and take up little space. It is really a good way to store food in case of calamity or natural disasters. So light and easy to transport and all I will have to do is add water, put it in the solar oven and "wha..laa!" dinner!

Back
Top Bottom