Thinking about getting a mohawk, opinions and tips?

Okay... I'll be the old fuddy duddy here.

It is your head and you can do whatever you like to it. That being said, there ARE social and cultural conventions that you will have to deal with. A mohawk on a girl says something, and whether these assumptions are fair or accurate or right doesn't matter. People see a mohawk (or tattos or heavy piercings or whatever) and go with the stereotypical generalities. If you choose to be atypical, you have to deal with the fall out and not whine about it. Know that certain employers will not hire you. Know that a good chunk of the adult population will think you are "up to no good" and authority figures will often eye you suspiciously. While we all can agree profiling is stupid and ignorant, it happens whether we like it or not.

As long as you have thought it out and are fine with the repercussions, go for it. It IS your head and you are free to make whatever artistic choice you like. You just should make life choices with thought and knowledge. That pretty much holds true about decisions on everything.

Have fun either way!
smile.png

Not sure how old you are or what kind of crowd you run with, but if you happen to be a single girl it's likey to cause many guys to steer clear of you. Maybe that's good maybe that's bad. I guess it depends on If you are "in the market" for a man? If you are then the kind of guys you are likey to receive attention from might not be the kind of guys your dear mum would like to see you with, or yourself for that matter.

If you can do it now without repercussions GO FOR IT!!! There are not many times in your life when you can get away with that, so you may as well do it now. You'll have to post pics if you get it done!

I had a girlfriend who had a mohawk when we were teens ya know, my friends with mohawks always used elmers school glue and hairspray to keep their spikes stiff, but a little beeswax pomade will do nice for a more relaxed look ($2 at dollar general in the hair area) I found a website with lots of pics

http://www.mohawksrock.com/photo/album/show?id=1501994:Album:2142
I think something like this looks really cute:
100_1004.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help and input on this it really helps!
I am aware of the type of profiling that will happen if choose to do this style. I'm not shopping for guys right now (though guys are what I'm interested in)
wink.png
It makes me sad that things have to be like that though, people just assume things ect. but I'm rather used to it. because I wear guys clothes and wear a sock hat very often I have people eye me or make false assumptions. If they take the time to get to know me, almost always they will befriend me and know I'm an honest, intelligent, and respectful person.
Anyways, I've had my current job for a year and I work the night shift. They allow me to wear hats and stuff, so I don't think this will be a problem.

Thanks for the links and pics and stuff and thanks moxiechick for the styling info.
I'm going to look around for a salon in the area that might have some experience in mohawks and stuff.
I'm looking through pictures to decide how I'd like it cut though. It seems like i have quite a few options on that.

Do what you want.. just be prepared for the real world if you are trying to get a real job....
smile.png

If you dont need a job or anything... then i say go for it!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I like the look of this too! And it looks like the hair can be "let down" to look just like a normal short hair cut....
So you can be different when you want to be... and respectable when you need to be...
Win win situation...

Back
Top Bottom