Thinking about getting ducks...

fishandchix1

Chirping
Jul 19, 2015
Ocean City, Maryland
I've been thinking about getting other fowl besides chickens and I've been leaning towards getting ducks the most. Is there anything I should know? I haven't done a lot of research yet. Are their laying habits similar to chickens? Do they need something to swim in? What do I feed them? How big should their enclosure be? Are their any suggested hatcheries I should buy them from?

I got ducks a few weeks after I got my chickens, they're the same age as my youngest chicks (16w) and I adore them. They don't adore me, but I adore them! :p They're not very social, at least mine aren't. They don't want to be pet or loved on, and if I need to grab one it's a guarenteed chase.

I can't answer on the egg laying. From my understanding is you can get them into the habit of using nesting boxes.. I haven't done this.. otherwise I believe they just lay where ever they happen to be. I also read that they will bury or hide their 'nests' if they make some.

As for water, that's my biggest warning. Water, water, water! I use a blue kids swimming pool, and it's muddy and dirty after just a few minutes. Very messy water buggers. I have a square bucket thing I dump and change out multiple times a day to keep the water clean for my ducks and chickens, but I'll only switch my ducks pool once a day. I usually dump the water in the morning and if it's going to be really hot I will wait to fill it up until later in the afternoon when it's blistering, so they have ice cold hose water to cool off in, and they'll use the drinking bucket to drink until then. Seems to work really well :)

Living quarters, I don't know the exact space requirements. They home with my ducks, sharing the same coop. Ducks sleep on the floor, chickens take up the roosts. It's 8ftx8ft and I've got 9 chickens on the roosts and 7 ducks on the floor. The ducks prefer crowding together, so sleep in a big pile instead of spreading out,but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have room to move around and get out from each other's feet.

Also, don't keep water in the actual coop. I stopped once the ducks moved in. They splash, and spill and water goes everywhere. Very stinky and messy and muddy. Chickens and ducks go in the coop at 8:30pm and come out at 7am and are fine without water between those times. They enjoy some fresh cold water first thing in the morning.

I have 9 chickens and 3 ducks. I love my ducks. They have so much personality and are fun to watch, Of course I love my chickens too :) Anyway, I have two Khaki Campbells that lay 2 big beautiful white eggs everyday for me. My little Rouen lays pretty blue eggs, but not all the time. They do lay their eggs on the ground or coop floor, but unless they are really, really dirty I don't wash them until right before I use them. The eggs are delicious and are a little superior to chicken eggs in several ways. I keep my ducks and chickens together, but it was tricky adding the new birds to the existing flock. I had only three chickens and the rouen duck, then added 6 more chickens and the two khaki campbells this spring. Needless to say the coop was in turmoil for about three weeks, but gradually they have become one big happy family. The ducks don't have to have a lot of water, but they definitely love to be able to splash around in something. They are very messy, but with a little research there are ways to keep it in check. The ducks and chickens eat the same foods. I just added brewers yeast to the chick starter when they were little. And they cannot have medicated feed. They are very social birds and will be unhappy alone so get at least two. Ducks need a little more room per bird than chickens, they grow really fast too. There are few things cuter than a baby duck! Here is a nice pdf from Metzger Farms with a lot of information:

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Articles/RaisingDucksHolderread.pdf

I got mine from Ideal Poultry. Hope this helps, Good Luck!!

Also, don't keep water in the actual coop. I stopped once the ducks moved in. They splash, and spill and water goes everywhere. Very stinky and messy and muddy. Chickens and ducks go in the coop at 8:30pm and come out at 7am and are fine without water between those times. They enjoy some fresh cold water first thing in the morning.

Wow thanks! I can't wait to get I can't wait to get ducks I just need to set up the coop and run first!

I would get ahold of a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and if you can swing it, The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook. Storey's Guide is geared more toward a farming approach, the other more of a pet duck approach. The latter has loads of medical-anatomical information in it.

There is a sticky on Raising Ducklings that is very helpful, too.

for the water - we have no problems now that we have a watering station. The bottom half of a large plastic dog crate, with sawdust pellets in the bottom. I sit the two gallon stew pot in there, and the bedding stays dry (except for the moisture from their manure).

All the stuff the others said, plus congratulations! I love seeing people do research before they jump into any type of pet.

Where you get them depends what you want. What you want depends on your purpose for the ducks. Once you do a bit more reading, which you already seem inclined to do, we should be able to give you recommendations on breeds to narrow down what you're looking for. Many people fall so in love with them that they can't choose a specific breed and end up getting a mix, which is fine if you don't plan to show and you stay in the same weight range.

Back
Top Bottom