Thinking about getting Geese

AutumnSol

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
We were offered 3 Chinese Brown Geese that are almost a year old. I’m worried about imprinting. Will they be able to imprint to us? We really wanted Goslings but have been unable to find any. They are all out of stock. These 3 are a breeding set of 2 females and one male. We want them to deter the hawk that is terrorizing or chickens and the neighbors ducks. We have friends that have not see a hawk since they got their 2 female Chinese Brown Geese. Any one have suggestions?

Spend time with them, as much as you can. They’ll be scared and want to avoid you but eventually they’ll get used to you. Offering treats will help.

In breeding season (winter/spring) the gander will be more aggressive, anyone he’s spent a lot of time with and accepted as his flock he’ll be protective of, anyone who spends less time with he will see as a rival he needs to run off.
The best way to handle an agressive gander is to say NO when he’s naughty and if he tries to attack grab him by the face “so he can’t bite you” and wrap your other arm around his torso to pin his wings and then lift him up and carry him around for a minute or two, then treat him like nothing happened and still spend time with him, avoiding him just establishes yourself as an enemy.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information we need. What is a desired Goose treat?
That depends, they can be picky eaters, they also have preferences, some like some things and others won’t like other things, so you might have to try a lot of different things.

They can also be suspicious and not want to eat something at first, if they see someone else eating something they’re more likely to try it themselves.

Romaine lettuce is an all around favorite though, but you can also try cabbage, kale, lettuce, broccoli, cucumber, melons, corn, peas, apples, peaches, pears, plums, berries, tomatoes “never the plant” pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, forage turnip leaves, carrots, citrus, and celery.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information we need. What is a desired Goose treat?
I feed mine cracked corn, which they seem to love (my partner & I call it "crack") but not too much because we want them to graze. I hand feed them a bit, and pet them while I do it. They communicate quite clearly that this is not their preference (gander: "just put it on the ground, human!") but it's like my dominance thing - me: "I give you treats, but you let me touch you"

We got the Geese this weekend and they are so pretty. The male and one female will eat out of our hands. The other female is more timid. The stand at the chicken run and look in at the chickens all day lol. The chickens were terrified and ran into the coop. It was so funny. The chickens have warmed up to them and were fine when we let them out to free range with the geese. I can tell they are still scared but I expect with lots of attention they will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom