Thinking about getting some pheasants, quick questions

purosaviparos

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I would like to breed some ringneck and golden pheasante but i have a few questions:

Do they only lay eggs once a year?

And when they lay, how many eggs do they usually have?

Are there any other important things that i should know about Pheasants?

I would like to get some but I want to make sure i have all the information first. Thank You

Our ring necks lay April through July on average 1 egg every 2 days.
We have added many pheasants to the wild via poor fencing.
Pheasants need completely covered pens.
If they escape they will be gone,you will be very lucky to catch them once they escape.
The cocks will get aggressive during the breeding season , they need some space.

If they escape they will be gone,you will be very lucky to catch them once they escape.
The cocks will get aggressive during the breeding season , they need some space.

Wow sounds like they lay a lot of eggs then, a rough estimate? If we are talking about the 4 months that would be around 60, seems lika a lot, probably less right? Have you guys ever had the golden pheasants, are their characteristics / egg laying the same?

Ringnecks usually lay every day.Ornamentals lay every other day and a few species every 3rd day.If you are setting up for breeding,1 male will breed up to 10 hens.For 11 birds your pen has to be at least 50x50,with perches in different areas,but don't put the perches up to high as a predator can reach down thru the wire or netting and grab them.They need lots of cover and hiding places for the hens to lay their eggs in.They should be fed a good gamebird feed mixed with layer pellets for the breeding and laying season,fresh water always available,they love fruits and veggies,wild bird seed,mealworms,crickets,peanuts(unsalted only)and always have grit available for them.If your purpose is to release them you want a minimum contact with them,so a big feeder that will hold enough food for a few days and huge water supply.
In N.H.,Tony.

Ring necks will lay 1 egg every 1.5 days, 50 to 65 eggs per season as long as you gather them every day. the last two weeks of the season the fertility will begin to drop. feed is important as much as stress, they will stop laying if they are stressed. books you read will tell you 7 to 10 hens per rooster, for me I have had the best luck with 11 to 12 per rooster. the hens take a pounding and only need to be breed once every ten days. The roosters will take the feathers off her back and if they draw blood it will be all over for her. blinders will help with the roosters and there aggression and it does not affect the breeding. provide lots of cover, vegetation will go quickly in your pen so buckets, barrels cut in half with cutouts any thing more permanent yet easy for you to gain access for gathering. a rule of thumb I use is one bird per 30 sq. feet. again adjust depending on the amount of cover. I have never worried about grit if you are feeding a pellet, it will break down with water, and if on the ground there is plenty of grit for them. some provide grit for the calcium but a good breeder feed will have the calcium that is needed. A two year old hen will not lay as heavy I found 45 eggs was the most. and had a higher mortality rate .remember to worm your hens at least a month before breeding starts and not during. good luck JRC. Utah

Back
Top Bottom