Thinking about showing at our County Fair???

Eggcellent Adventure

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Hi,
We are thinking about showing at our local county fair. My daughter is 10 and would love to enter her Jersey Giant. I've been trying to read a bit how it's done and so far - know we should provide food dish, food, water. The fair rules state the building with the coops will be closed during judging. I'm guessing then that the judges do their own thing and look at the birds? The Jersey Giant is a bit wild to handle (one of our shy but really pretty birds) so I know my daughter wouldn't be able to handle her during judging. Is this done (judges going through on their own) rather than having owners take them out, handle them, etc? Thanks for any help! We're clueless, but would love to show. We bought our birds from a local breeder "champion" line. Also do show birds need leg bands or anything to "mark" them in general? Thanks again!

ur daughter well have to handle there bird during showmanship the judge judge the child, the judge look at them during the show where there judgeing the birds, it help if u cage ur bird at home to get them used to the proces

Thanks for the idea of getting used to a cage before hand. We are also trying to handle her more in general. I think this Fair has only judging the breed standard. They don't list any "showmanship" classes. It says also, "No exhibitors will be allowed in the building during judging. The building will be closed to public during judging." So my guess is than maybe she won't have to worry about the handling/showmanship stuff yet (which would be good for her:).

It also says we need to take the bird in for pullorum testing this month before the fair. Is that a blood test? We are so new to chickens, how do the draw blood from a chicken for testing? I guess she'll have to get better about us holding her:). Our redstars and polish are SO sweet and easy to handle, unfortunately the JG is the hard one!

Your state Dept of Agriculture will have a list of testers in your area. Call one up, make an appointment and they can come by and test all your birds and put your flock in the NPIP program. (in Oklahoma, the cost was $5.00 for all the 75 or so birds I had here at the time) You get a certificate that shows the birds are clear of Pullorum-Typhoid, and depending on the state, other diseases like Avian influenza. Alot of county fairs have a tester available on site to test the birds being entered for a small fee, usually less than $1.00 per bird; call the fair board and ask about that.

While they are a big thing at sanctioned APA shows, "Showmanship" classes for chickens are not held at every or even most County Fairs, which run the gamut from a strict SoP guidelines with a real APA judge to a considerably more informal affair presided over by anybody they can get who has had chickens since he was knee high to a grasshopper. Either way, you're generally not allowed to be present when the judging is taking place at a County Fair, but if you're curious and want to learn more about your breed, you can possibly get a chance to ask the Judge or Superintendent afterward about your birds.

Just make sure the bird is clean, well fed and well groomed. Read the Standard of Perfection for any serious faults that your bird could have that might hold her back in competition, and most of all, have fun.

Back
Top Bottom