Thinking of giving up

I suggest you remove survivors and pen them where you can detect and respond quickly tonight. If possible, then remove all but one dead bird from coop / run and place remaining bird as bait in a live strap. Make predator can only approach trap from entrance side. The usual trap avoidance of fox likely to not apply once it gets back into kill zone to police up carcasses.

The top of the run is hard to get the pic to show but it is more to keep the Hawks out.

I looked at the pictures again, and it appears to simply be poly bird netting on the roof, that would need to be replace, many predators can easily climb your walls without any trouble...

And although your new coop might be better it's still lacking in many respects, predators are unpredictable you just never know when they will attack, you could go years without any issues and then have tons overnight...

Any info on the type of gate latch that you say was opened?

In short your coop and run still needs more work if you choose to get more birds...

Is there no door to the coop part? I would make the coop more secure and lock them up at night. The more barriers the better, especially when they are so vulnerable at night.

I have never had critter issues but have seen coyotes and such nearby. My coops have half inch hardware cloth for all walling and all doors have carabiners for locking. 1/2 inch hardware cloth means its too small for anyone to claw through really and nobody besides humans opens carabiners so far as I know. I do have hook latches also on all openings so that I can close it for a minute and open it faster but at night and such, carabiners.

and nobody besides humans opens carabiners so far as I know.

I know a lot of people will say otherwise, likely due to lack of seeing it happen themselves or lack of experience watching coons at work...

I personally have no doubt a raccoon can open a carabiner, be it screw or spring clip type... I had a raccoon as a pet long ago and I have seen them at work first hand, and they will spend all day trying to solve a problem and usually do...

There was a thread while back where people were saying coons couldn't work a door knob (I know me pet one could) well I was on vacation a fee weeks back and rented a yurt, the first night there two coons were in fact turning the door knob (not lockable) and trying to open the door while we slept... If the door wasn't locked with the deadbolt they would have got in like I suspect that had in the past to other unsuspecting guest...

Most people that have had a pet raccoon or lots of experience dealing with them will tell you that if a child can open the latch/lock so can a raccoon if given the time to tinker with it... And once they figure it out they can and will repeat the process...

Dollar store combo or key locks are only $1 and worth every bit in this case...

well I was on vacation a fee weeks back and rented a yurt, the first night there two coons were in fact turning the door knob (not lockable) and trying to open the door while we slept... If the door wasn't locked with the deadbolt they would have got in like I suspect that had in the past to other unsuspecting guest...

Most people that have had a pet raccoon or lots of experience dealing with them will tell you that if a child can open the latch/lock so can a raccoon if given the time to tinker with it... And once they figure it out they can and will repeat the process...

Oh ok.. I never have had trouble with it so I didn't know. I guess I also have a rooster now and guinea hogs(their smell is supposed to help?)

I am so terribly sorry for you that this happened again despite your efforts. I've read so many heart-wrenching stories like yours where folks get to feeling sickened and defeated. Only you can decide whether or not to try again. The time and expense to fortify a coop against this predator could be challenging. No advice here, just thoughts. Can you as centrachild suggested trap the offender? Can you install motion detector lights and alarm? We use them a lot here, for 2 legged predators as well. Can you fortify the coop with hardware cloth and completely enclose it? Can you get an azz eatin alarm dog to kennel near the coop or run loose as a sentry? I have a barn dog out back that has saved me twice from coyote packs and more than once from a thug.

I hope time heals.

I have debated over dogs to protect the flock my luck they would eat the birds. The latch was a a rope to hooked to a nail but the door didn't fit right so to close it you had to slam it. I guess the opportunity was too easy for them.

Yes, fix the door and latching system.

Install a door to the coop that also "locks"

Are you certain the door was the cause of the breach? No torn wire, holes dug?

A game camera would help to identify what killed them, as I'm sure it will be back, a baited trap, with nothing else around may also catch the critter! May be possible to borrow a trap from human society or fish and game ... Take some of the bodies and put them in a plastic bag or two, then in the fridge, if you want to bait multiple nights (rarely is their only ONE preditor)

A "hot wire" (electric) around the top and near the bottom will discourage any more attempts ...

Yes, get more chickens! :)

I'm in tears, its been such a hard time for me the last few weeks. I've lost 5 birds in the last week to what I believe was a fox attack in the bean field. After being confined to their coop for 2 days I let the remaining chickens out. Forward a week later, everything was great until today, I came out today to find feathers from my Buff Orpingtons outside the closed coop. Open the heavy wooden door and al 3 were gone! No bodies no feathers inside no blood, no sign of entry. One of my Guineas has a few small scratches about his face and the remaining 4 RIRs, 2 black Austrolops, 3 Guineas are dodging around the coop terrified.

I've never raised chickens and I've had my chicks since they were a few days old, up to date they are about 7-8 weeks. I've yet to have any get big enough to lay eggs, I believe they'll all be gone before that. I just cant keep going through this! After this I'm calling it quits until I can get some security lights installed. I'm coming short of bringing my Chickens inside at night. What else can I do short of pitching a tent and spending the night out next to the coop

Back
Top Bottom