Thinking of giving up

This morning has been devastating I went to check on my babies and it looks like a crime scene. Bodies every where blood feathers 20+ chickens and 3 rabbits gone I have 4 chickens left. This is my 4th flock as it is. This was done in my new coop chain length fence up sides 10 tall top has a Tin roof they managed to open the gate I am at a lose

I'm heartbroken for you. It's so hard to lose our pets, especially violently, and I totally understand your wanting to throw in the towel. I'm so sorry.

I'm in tears, its been such a hard time for me the last few weeks. I've lost 5 birds in the last week to what I believe was a fox attack in the bean field. After being confined to their coop for 2 days I let the remaining chickens out. Forward a week later, everything was great until today, I came out today to find feathers from my Buff Orpingtons outside the closed coop. Open the heavy wooden door and al 3 were gone! No bodies no feathers inside no blood, no sign of entry. One of my Guineas has a few small scratches about his face and the remaining 4 RIRs, 2 black Austrolops, 3 Guineas are dodging around the coop terrified.

I've never raised chickens and I've had my chicks since they were a few days old, up to date they are about 7-8 weeks. I've yet to have any get big enough to lay eggs, I believe they'll all be gone before that. I just cant keep going through this! After this I'm calling it quits until I can get some security lights installed. I'm coming short of bringing my Chickens inside at night. What else can I do short of pitching a tent and spending the night out next to the coop
These stories are heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. I hope you don't give up, we learn as we go. Now you know what you can't do and what else you need to do. Sounds like free range should never be an option for your flock. Lots of folks use electric poultry netting or wire fencing with hot wire for a chicken yard. Re security lights: We found some great ones with alarms! My friend had a 2 legged predator! Her coops are way at the back of her property and someone was sneaking in and stealing her birds! They make motion activated lights with an alarm. Some strobe. I'd think that would scare off any critter.Still, hot wire is the absolute safest.

Thanks for the input Mutt, I left the porch light on to see if this may discourage critters of the night. And I have several Co-Ops near me and I'm going to check them out, I haven't heard of hot wire but I never know. Good thing I know an electrician, I need the power hooked up to my garage which the chicken coop isn't too far from, motion lights. But definitely hot wire sounds like an idea.

IMO always on lights are only a temporary deterrent, once they get used to them being on full time they will mostly ignore them...

I have three street lights on my properly lighting up my driveway from the house all the way to my two barns, and everywhere around that area and it doesn't seem to phase the critters at all...

Thanks for the input Mutt, I left the porch light on to see if this may discourage critters of the night.  And I have several Co-Ops near me and I'm going to check them out, I haven't heard of hot wire but I never know.  Good thing I know an electrician, I need the power hooked up to my garage which the chicken coop isn't too far from, motion lights.  But definitely hot wire sounds like an idea.

Hot wire is just electric fence. But you can string it all over the place. Good luck.;)

I'm in tears, its been such a hard time for me the last few weeks. I've lost 5 birds in the last week to what I believe was a fox attack in the bean field. After being confined to their coop for 2 days I let the remaining chickens out. Forward a week later, everything was great until today, I came out today to find feathers from my Buff Orpingtons outside the closed coop.   Open the heavy wooden door and al 3 were gone! No bodies no feathers inside no blood, no sign of entry. One of my Guineas has a few small scratches about his face and the remaining 4 RIRs, 2 black Austrolops, 3 Guineas are dodging around the coop terrified. 

I've never raised chickens and I've had my chicks since they were a few days old, up to date they are about 7-8 weeks.  I've yet to have any get big enough to lay eggs, I believe they'll all be gone before that.  I just cant keep going through this!   After this I'm calling it quits until I can get some security lights installed.  I'm coming short of bringing my Chickens inside at night. What else can I do short of pitching a tent and spending the night out next to the coop

Plenty of good threads, posted over many years by many wily & erudite members who've shared their knowledge about how to keep the learning curve from being so steep that it is covered in blood and the spillage of gumption.

If one free ranges, one is going to have losses. This can be minimized by conducting armed, supervised free range time. Depending on one's location a .22 or small bore shotgun will do. Preemptive trapping and dispatching of all local vermin will not keep other vermin from "moving in" but that takes time and one's overall frequency of attempted predation will decrease. Runs should be fenced with at least 6 ft. 1"x2" welded wire fencing with bottom 24" reinforced by hardware cloth - bird netting will do for cover if flock(s) are locked-down in coops at night. Runs/coop area (depending on setup) should have electrified fencing/netting/hotwire(s). Coop windows should be covered with .5" hardware cloth attached to frame with wood screws/washers. Always check coop/shed integrity, daily (gnawing at bottom corners, etc. - weasels/minks can rub out a flock. Baby monitors are very handy if one is at home; one can learn to differentiate between flock "growling" at one of the house cats sauntering by and the growling that announces the arrival of a coon (a green LED tactical light mounted on barrel of semi .22 is useful in this regard).

Just think of all the "front end" investment of time/money/research as the recipe for "live chicken".
Advanced Search (coop construction in particular) is very good - just remember to use the SEARCH button at the bottom of the screen after declaring all variables.

A "hot wire" (or three!) or also called electric fence needs to be powered through a fence charger/energizer ... It is not just an exposed wire from your house circuit ... Most backyards can be charged with no more than .5 (1/2) joule charger about $60-$75 ... Plus whatever fencing, post, ground rod costs ...

Hardware cloth comes in different size/thickness of wire, not just the spacing ... More common sizes are 19 - 27 gauge https://wireclothman.com/hardware_cloth.html know what your buying, and what is best for your situation!

Also available in 16 gauge!
http://store.valentineinc.com/1x116gaall10.html

Know/learn about wire fence sizes (gauge) and what it means, and what it will cost ... http://www.louispage.com/blog/bid/7...e-Gauges-Used-In-Welded-Woven-Wire-Mesh-Fence

Yes, fix the door and latching system.

Install a door to the coop that also "locks"

Are you certain the door was the cause of the breach? No torn wire, holes dug?

A game camera would help to identify what killed them, as I'm sure it will be back, a baited trap, with nothing else around may also catch the critter! May be possible to borrow a trap from human society or fish and game ... Take some of the bodies and put them in a plastic bag or two, then in the fridge, if you want to bait multiple nights (rarely is their only ONE preditor)

A "hot wire" (electric) around the top and near the bottom will discourage any more attempts ...

Yes, get more chickens!
smile.png

I agree with these recommendations, I have and open top run with electric multiple strands at 3, 18, 30 and 42 inches from the bottom then another at 3 inches above the top. I also lock my chickens in the coop at night.

and YES get more chickens

So my dh and decided to make some changes to the coop per the many recommendations first being the entire top will have a tin roof. And hot wires but I have a question. I have a roll of chain length fencing but only 36 inches tall would it be worth my time to say wrap that around the bottom and secure it wi the existing fencing? Like say a double layer! Also the ground I won't say can't be dug in but I will say it is clay that is like cement a back hoe struggles to dig there do you think a fox can still dig. We check daily and the only time we have seen attempts to dig was the night of the attack and the attempts were weak

Back
Top Bottom