This BR has me stumped!

High Altitude Chickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
At first I thought Sue Ellen was a girl but now I'm not so sure.

At 3 days old (the one on the left in each picture):
64466_100_0945.jpg

64466_100_0937.jpg

At 3 weeks old:
64466_sue_ellen_3_weeks_old_3.jpg

64466_sue_ellen_3_weeks_old.jpg

At 6 weeks old (the one in the back is a roo for sure and same age as Sue Ellen in front):
64466_sue_ellen_and_kramer_6_weeks_old.jpg

64466_sue_ellen_6_weeks_old.jpg

64466_sue_ellen_6_weeks_old_4.jpg

At 11 weeks old:
64466_sue_ellen_11_weeks_8.jpg

64466_sue_ellen_11_weeks_3.jpg

64466_sue_ellen_11_weeks_10.jpg

Any thoughts on gender? No roo behaviors, no crowing or spur growth.

Well, using that post, the chick with the well defined head spot and black legs turned out to be a roo (using the guidelines in that post, it was supposed to be a girl). The one in question was a dark chick, black legs, smaller head spot.

Last edited:
Still new at this, but the coloring (more black than white) makes me think that it's a pullet. In the 1st 6-week-old picture, the definite roo in the back has way larger white bars.

Well, the funny thing is, her comb and wattles (or is that waddles) is pretty large, but she has the coloring of a hen. I thought the males were lighter. I still vote hen.

I think it's a rooster. I raised one like that. Was sure it was a hen for weeks and weeks, until he crowed. Came from Welp hatchery I think.

The last one, the one in question, right? That's a cockerel. At 11 weeks, coloring, comb/wattles, tail set and stance all say male. Some boys are just a bit slower to develop than others. I had a cockerel-colored pullet, but her comb was much, much smaller at 11 weeks old than your guy's.

Back
Top Bottom