This cold snap.

lisa Razmyar

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2016
Charlotte
It's suppose to get down to 30 tonight. How do I know if I should put a heat bulb in the coop? It will closed up but not sure if they will need heat?

How big or old are the chicks now? You shouldn't close coop up all the way cause they need ventilation. Is there any way you could put bales of straw around the coop? That may help keep them warm, but if they have been out before, the heat lamp will not let them get adjusted to nature. (Cold hardy vs heat tolerant, they have to be in that climate)

Chickens shouldn't need a heat lamp after they feather out completely, they are designed to handle cold temps. As mentioned before, open vents so moisture doesn't build up and cause frostbite. Make sure there are no openings at roost level to cause a draft.

How big or old are the chicks now? You shouldn't close coop up all the way cause they need ventilation. Is there any way you could put bales of straw around the coop? That may help keep them warm, but if they have been out before, the heat lamp will not let them get adjusted to nature. (Cold hardy vs heat tolerant, they have to be in that climate)

They are 1-2 years old. There is ventilation in the coop. I close it nightly but we have a window that can open and a flap in the back so I have closed both of those so there is no wind blowing through. I am pretty sure they stayed out with their previous owners. We did not have then in cold weather. I have plenty of pine shaving on the floor but they all sleep in the roost.

Chickens shouldn't need a heat lamp after they feather out completely, they are designed to handle cold temps. As mentioned before, open vents so moisture doesn't build up and cause frostbite. Make sure there are no openings at roost level to cause a draft. 

Back
Top Bottom