This is it!!! They're coming to pick up tomorrow...need to know gender

Quote:
Why do you think they are pullets?

They look a lot like my little pullet, her comb is red also, but she is definitely a pullet.
smile.png
But the comb on an Amercauna can definitely throw you off. LOL

when you look at the feathers on their backs, part the feathers over their back and hips. Look to see if they are coming in a bit daker, shinier and very pointy, (like a sharpened pencil, or sharper, at the tip. If you are looking at them indoors or in the shade, get them by very bright light. The tips of those pointy new feathers, probably still in the sheath mostly, will be very shiny. Hope that helps.

ok, I have 4 altogether that are stumping me. I have a splash, and I know FOR SURE is a pullet, because her comb is NOT red at all. Three of these Ameracaunas are BLACK. The one in the pic, (it's hard to tell) is black, but has a 'green" shiny tinge to it. Would that signal Roo? Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Yes! I definately could see what you are talking about in one for sure. It's kind of hard to tell on the others, because some have been picked on. That's why it's time for the roos to go...

They grow those same pointy feathers on their necks, but it is not so easy to see. lower down on their necks, see if you see any pointy hackle feathers coming in. Feel their pelvic bones to see if they are really narrow and pointy, close together. Big feet bones. More cartilege over the bridge of their beak. A thicker beak at the base, close to their face. Taller, braver stance. Put them to walk around and make a fake rooster sound, or a Scooby Doo sound like when he says Huh?, or a higher pitched whistle fading downward like a red tail hawk. See if they stand up tall and challenge the sound, or duck and hide.
No one thing will give you the answer, but more of them pointing toward roo, probably a roo.

1. Hackle/Saddle feathers- Yes= guaranteed roo
2. Pelvic bones, very subjective, usually not much help.
3. Bigger feet and leg bones- Yes= somewhat indicative, not "proof"
4. More cartilage over the brige of the nose, thicker beak.= often a fairly strong indicator
5. Tall stance, meh... small amt of help, might tip the vote but don't base much on it.
6. Challenging the sound of a hawk, if they challenge, probably a roo, if they duck, could be either way.

That's how I try to figure it out. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom