This is too funny!!

KristaChickenWhisperer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Lake Stevens, WA
When I first started my hatching journey my dad was so grumpy at me! He was dead set against me having anymore chickens and he definitely did NOT like the idea of the possibility that some of the hatched chicks will be male.

Part of his apprehension is because in August I will be going back to my University (200miles away) and he and mom will be left to tend my flock.

After my last chick hatched on the 2nd (He totally watched it) he turns to me and says: "I am going to have to fix something in your incubator before the next time you use it. Some of the wires came loose. I'll have to fix those."

I couldn't help but giggle at the NEXT TIME part. I think he might be hooked!
big_smile.png

Oh yes, my other half says, I dont want chickens, they stink and crap on everything. I get chickens. he builds coop and nest boxes. clucks at chickens. I catch him talking to chickens. gives me a rifle so I can shoot any coyotes that might want my chickens. Proclaims that any coyote that gets to close will be a dead one, chickens are defenseless. I get a serama rooster to hang with the orpington girls. other half thinks Larry is pretty cool...Larry marches around and mutters to himself all day so he is amusing. Then I get full sized Orp roo...other half sees how upset and bummed Larry is and comes in to tell me that it is only fair that Larry has his own girl seeings as how the big roo took his other ones, so I need to get a serama girl for Larry. Maybe I find a serama wife for Larry but is a ways away, Other half says so its an easy drive and its only fair to Larry so you should go get it. ...
lau.gif
So much for I dont want any chickens!!!!!

haha! i'm in the exact same situation. i hatch with broody hens, and it's my mum who sighs every time i get new fertile eggs because it's her that will be left with them once i'm at university next year!
lol.png

she loves them though! i've seen her snuggling PintSize (my cutsie-pie silkie pullet).

Quote:
Have patience....it took my husband nearly a year to come around. He was constantly telling me that we have too many chickens (only have 29 and 3 guineas) and that we needed to eat some of them. We did cull and eat one very aggressive rooster: I made him do it.
A few weeks ago people started asking him about and buying our eggs: He has been selling 6-7 dozen a week. Suddenly he now loves to sit and watch the chickens and guineas race around the yard and come running after me wherever I go outside. He put up lights in their coop and was trying to put some heat lights out there so they wouldn't be cold (we live in SE Louisiana). He somewhat scoffed at the incubator when I got it, but now checks on the eggs everyday...humidity and temps are okay he tells me every time he looks. Day 21 is Tuesday and he is bummed he can't take the day off to see who hatches. He even told me that he didn't think he could ever eat another one of the girls...lol. How's that for a complete 180?

Back
Top Bottom