This is too long , ducks are the worst

theprov31gal

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 21, 2015
I few days ago I posted about the worst duck hatch ever. And we've brainstormed and think it's the incubator. That incubator is now gone.
The next round hatched a few days ago , 16 out of 21. Better, but .....
My only issue now is that I have some that began pipping Tuesday morning when I woke up. And 4 or STILL not hatched. They are still numnumnumming away absorbing the yolk. And it's Friday. Still have veins , still content to peep . Ducks take a long time but these guys are the slowest ! Lol I need to clean this incubator out and start some chickens. What's the longest you've ever had from pip to zip?

I few days ago I posted about the worst duck hatch ever. And we've brainstormed and think it's the incubator. That incubator is now gone.
The next round hatched a few days ago , 16 out of 21. Better, but .....
My only issue now is that I have some that began pipping Tuesday morning when I woke up. And 4 or STILL not hatched. They are still numnumnumming away absorbing the yolk. And it's Friday. Still have veins , still content to peep . Ducks take a long time but these guys are the slowest ! Lol I need to clean this incubator out and start some chickens. What's the longest you've ever had from pip to zip?
What end of the egg did they pip ?
external pip within the air cell is 24-48 hours
External pip outside the air cell 48-72 hours

What end of the egg did they pip ?
external pip within the air cell is 24-48 hours
External pip outside the air cell 48-72 hours
They're at the correct end of the egg. All picked into their air cells and three of them look to be positioned correctly except one has his head under his foot .
This morning would have been 72 hours already.

72 hours from external pip ?
Are you candling to see veins and how the body is positioned ?
They have their beaks out, they've made holes large enough to peer into and still see juicy veins that I'm not comfortable at messing with. They are still moving their beaks and peeping.
There is also one I discovered that is alive and moving , I've candled it , that has not internally pipped and appears to face the wrong end. I'm at a loss as to how to help that one.

They have their beaks out, they've made holes large enough to peer into and still see juicy veins that I'm not comfortable at messing with. They are still moving their beaks and peeping.
There is also one I discovered that is alive and moving , I've candled it , that has not internally pipped and appears to face the wrong end. I'm at a loss as to how to help that one.
Do you see a bruise on the egg on that one ?

Do you see a bruise on the egg on that one ?
No, but I did on a few that died. They were trying to pip the wrong end. This one hasn't done anything. Maybe this evening I'll try a hole at the wrong end? I'm not sure . I don't want to kill it if I try something but I think it'll die if I do nothing. Perhaps there was a cold spot in the incubator? It's not ready? I mean it's day 30. I'm giving the 2 pippers till this evening because this is crazy. Then I'm going to see what I can do.
But I haven't a clue what to do with the upside down chick .

No, but I did on a few that died. They were trying to pip the wrong end. This one hasn't done anything. Maybe this evening I'll try a hole at the wrong end? I'm not sure . I don't want to kill it if I try something but I think it'll die if I do nothing. Perhaps there was a cold spot in the incubator? It's not ready? I mean it's day 30. I'm giving the 2 pippers till this evening because this is crazy. Then I'm going to see what I can do.
But I haven't a clue what to do with the upside down chick .
Don’t force them to hatch earlier then they are ready
You only make a safety hole if you see a bruise
There are way to many big veins that can make the baby bleed out at that end. When you see a bruise that is where baby hit a vein and has chewed it to stop bleeding
That’s where it’s safe
Pin hole only then left alone for 48 hours min wrong ends can take 48-72 hours
Regular ends after external pip can take 24-48
To many rush them out and the risk of them surviving is low
They are safer in the egg where it keeps that yolk from drying or rupturing

Have you been assisting these ones ?
When did they external pip ? How many hours ?
Don’t worry about the days that doesn’t matter as you may have had lower temp then the bator said causing a delay in hatching

Don’t force them to hatch earlier then they are ready
You only make a safety hole if you see a bruise
There are way to many big veins that can make the baby bleed out at that end. When you see a bruise that is where baby hit a vein and has chewed it to stop bleeding
That’s where it’s safe
Pin hole only then left alone for 48 hours min wrong ends can take 48-72 hours
Regular ends after external pip can take 24-48
To many rush them out and the risk of them surviving is low
They are safer in the egg where it keeps that yolk from drying or rupturing

Have you been assisting these ones ?
When did they external pip ? How many hours ?
Don’t worry about the days that doesn’t matter as you may have had lower temp then the bator said causing a delay in hatching
The first tiny pips were Tuesday morning, I can't remember the time, 17 had hatched completely by Thursday lunchtime . These 2 who hatched make 19. I'm guessing an hour ago , they are still wet. That's about 80 hours from external pip.

This is my second incubator full, something terrible happened with the first incubator and it was running very hot and the babies were trying to hatch on day 24 and they were all super glued and only seven hatched and I had to help three of those out because they were really glued in. And I had to hand feed all of those drops of water as they couldn't lift their heads , but after hydro hen drops they perked up and are now fine. They should have hatched when THIS batch hatched. That bator is gone now, too many problems, those babies dehydrated.
Gah!

Back
Top Bottom