this may be a dumb question about a deformed chick but..... please rea

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Ok, if a chick is deformed, and it grows up, is it wise to let it may and hatch the eggs, if it makes it that far??? I have a Cockoo Maran that has one eye and and cross beak. It is now about 3 days old and holding it's own. I do not have the heart to kill it since it is putting up such a good fight. Just wondering so I kow whether to sepeate it or not. I am thinking it is OK, since the problem was from something with the incubator.

If you are sure it was not a genetic issue then it will be fine to lay and hatch out chicks.
smile.png

edited: Because I really need spell check
tongue.png

Last edited:
i think her question was do you let the hen or roo mate and lay eggs and if that's ur question i don't see a problem and as far as putting eggs in the incubator i would try it even tho its genetic whats the worst that can happen i just hatched one 6/4 and he/ she is doing good there nothing wrong with them just that its cosmetic they are still chickens not aliens

A missing eye is likely a developmental defect in the chick that was formed during early embryogenesis independent of any thing the incubator could have done. Cross beaks are 90% genetic and probably a recessive trait, incubation also likely had near zero effect on the skull plate development of the bird.

My guess is that cross beak is bent in the direction of the missing eye as something went wrong during the early stages of development, within the first 48 hours of growth.

Personally, if I wanted a strong stock, I would not breed this bird, but just let it live the life it has.

Its genetic problems can manifest in it's grand chicks and later on down the line. For example, picking out and breeding prolific layers under a year old to make generations of egg laying birds over the past 50 years is the main reason why many of our birds will die early due to ovarian cancer.

I look at it this way. If it is genetic, which it seems it might be, I would not breed it and take a chance on more deformities. You may not have to cull this one but somewhere down the line in future generations you will have to. Would you breed it if it were a dog? Would you want a litter of deformed pups that may die on you, or that you may have to put down. I would not.

I think I would raise her/him and if it's a hen, I'm sure her eggs would be yummy! But as previous posters said, the risk of her passing a defect along to her offspring outweighs the benefits of adding her offspring to your flock. Enjoy your unique bird, but keep her a 1 of a kind.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom