This week's hatchlings...

schmmems

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2009
Central Florida
I had 20 birds hatch while I was away. I know what the parents were, but I'm not sure that I am matching up the right bird to the right parents. Here are my pics with my guesses. I can tell you the options are--Serama, OEG, Cochin, Marans, Silkie mix, Speckeld Sussex (or SS and Welsummer mix) Buff Orpington.

So now, let's play match the bird...
46334_dscf4270a.jpg

I'm guessing Buff Orpington

Bird #2
46334_dscf4273.jpg

I'm guessing Speckled Sussex

Birds #3 and 4
46334_dscf4278.jpg

B/B/S Cochin, LF How can you tell if it is blue or splash?

Birds #5 and 6
46334_dscf4279.jpg

Lavendar bantam cochin. (This was a half and whole mating, so I should get a lavendar and a black, right?)

Bird #7
46334_dscf4285.jpg

Serama

Bird #8
46334_dscf4287.jpg

Old English Barred/Spangled mix

Birds #9-13
46334_dscf4291.jpg

Marans. These are supposed to be full blooded from two groups of birds, one Cuckoo and the other Black Copper. How can I tell the difference?

Birds 14-20
Mixes of birds. Some have five toes, some have clean legs, really cute, but I know they are mixes. So no pics of them...

How many did I get right?

ETA: I had the wrong pic for one of the groups of birds, it's better now!

Last edited:
the only thing I know is you can tell marans about by the white dot on their head. If they have a dot they are cuckoo, if not its a black copper.

I always want to play these games but I am never right! I have a Buff Orpington that I raised from a chick. She looked liked the first one except she was very light yellow. I'm going to stop there before I make a fool of myself. Good luck with those little beauties!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom