Update: did not make it - Thought egg was dead, opened and it's alive, any chance??

Make sure to keep good humidity in the incubator or it will dry out the chick. I have had it happen many times:barnie
We're at 76% right now! It's loaded with water but I'm also concerned that the humidity bumped a touch because the egg is open. Got a wet paper towel over the opening and full reservoirs and good ventilation, good room temp and humidity is at 50% ambient as well. Just really hoping for the best, but it's possible the chick was compromised somehow and wasn't going to hatch anyway I suppose. I'm rooting for it and talking to it! 💕💕 Thank you!

I usually have humidity at 65%-75%, so your humidity should be fine. Once I didn't watch the incubator and lost 2 dozen quail chicks, the humidity was at 30% during lockdown. I've never made that mistake again

I usually have humidity at 65%-75%, so your humidity should be fine. Once I didn't watch the incubator and lost 2 dozen quail chicks, the humidity was at 30% during lockdown. I've never made that mistake again
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that and I'm glad you've had so much success since then! I definitely couldn't dry hatch in my environment either because other than right after spring storms it's DRY here. Thank you again for your response! This is my first time incubating and I'm fortunate that the other 6 are healthy, just hoping the best for this lil one. ❤️

Just remember that if the humidity is too high it can 'drown' the chick
Thanks, I've read that too! I was mostly concerned that the drowning would happen due to high humidity causing a small air sac, but this egg is open. Is high humidity still a concern once they begin breathing outside air? I don't even know if this one can reach said air or if it's head is at the wrong end, but humidity crept to 78 percent in there and I'm wondering if I should try to get it down now?...

Back
Top Bottom